Stijn1derBeek

Multiple Instances doesn't allow upgrading an instance if another instance is upgraded to a higher version

Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:30 am

Hello,

I'm experiencing an issue with Advanced Installer's multiple instances feature.

Steps to reproduce:
Create a Project
Activate Multiple Instances feature
Make an installer with version 1.0.0
Use the mentioned installer and install at least two instances
Generate another installer with let's say version 2.0, generate new code, set it aside
Generate another installer with version number 3.0, generate new code
Use the installer with 3.0 version to upgrade one of the instances, works fine, no issues
Use the installer with 2.0 version to try to upgrade one of the 1.0 instances

Expected behaviour:
I can upgrade an instance if the desired version is lower than the highest among the multiple instance versions.

The mentioned behaviour would be incredibly beneficial, to be able to use different instances of the software, not just with different configurations but different versions too. Using let's say "develop", "test", "stable" versions, and only want to update the stable.

Is there some way to achieve the said behavior, or I'm missing something?

Thank you in advance!

Catalin

Re: Multiple Instances doesn't allow upgrading an instance if another instance is upgraded to a higher version

Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:29 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback!

I tested this and I was indeed able to replicate the behavior.

I have forwarded this to our development team for further investigations and I will update this thread as soon as I will have more information.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Catalin

Re: Multiple Instances doesn't allow upgrading an instance if another instance is upgraded to a higher version

Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:52 am

Hello,

After further discussing this with our development team, it looks like it is not quite possible to achieve what you want.

First of all, the behavior encountered here is normal (the received error upon trying to update the 1.0 instance to the 2.0 instance when the 3.0 is installed).

The solution to this would be to use the "Side by side" installation, but unfortunately this is not supported with "Multiple Instances".

Thank you for your understanding and please let me know if there is anything else I could help you with!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”