Zsolt Kollarits

Some files are not replaced by our setup

Fri Nov 05, 2021 1:53 pm

Dear Advanced Installer Support Team,

Right now I'm analyzing a very interesting problem: our installer does NOT replace 2 exe files (TheViewer.exe and TheCaseMgr.exe) for some reason while doing an upgrade from version 26.1.1 to 26.2.0. All the other files are properly replaced, except of 2 (you can see that on the screenshot). Those 2 files still have version number 26.1.1 as well as the "Date modified" date is also much older.

Analyzing the installation logfile:

To further investigate I triggered an upgrade procedure by using the "TheClient.exe /L*Vx mylogfile.log" command and took a look at the logfile. There are few interesting lines I found in the log when search for "TheViewer" text:
SELMGR: ComponentId '{68E08CFF-8D8A-450D-9797-EFBFB0255151}' is registered to feature 'TheViewer', but is not present in the Component table. Removal of components from a feature is not supported!
SELMGR: Removal of a component from a feature is not supported

I tried to search for 68E08CFF in both of our setup .aip files (26.1.1 and 26.2.0), but nothing was found. So actually I don't know what that section in the lotfile means.

Component: __TheViewer.exe65; Installed: Null; Request: Null; Action: Null; Client State: Null
Component: __TheViewer.exe66; Installed: Null; Request: Null; Action: Null; Client State: Null
Component: __TheViewer_reg65; Installed: Null; Request: Null; Action: Null; Client State: Null

In my understanding these 3 lines mean that TheViewer component won't be installed by the 26.2.0 setup, but why?

I will send over the logfile too, could you please take a look at it?

Checking Control Panel:

As a last step I checked our application in Control Panel's Programs and Features list -> the correct version (26.2.0) was visible there. Also I right-click on our application -> Change -> Modify, and tried to find a feature called Navigator as the 2 .exe files are the part of the Navigator feature -> that feature was installed. I will send you some screenshots about this too.

Could you please help us to figure out why those 2 .exe files are not installed?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Zsolt

Zsolt Kollarits

Re: Some files are not replaced by our setup

Fri Nov 05, 2021 4:33 pm

Dear Advanced Installer Support Team,

I forgot to mention that we use Advanced Installer 17.9 version.

Best regards,
Zsolt

Eusebiu

Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:56 am

Hi Zsolt,

This problem usually appears during a patch/minor upgrade installation, not a major upgrade. The patch does not support the removal of a component from a feature and if that rule is not respected the whole feature will not be installed anymore. You can read more details in the "Why is My Feature Advertised" article.

Do you have the "Install MSI as minor upgrade (if applicable)" option set in the "Builds" page of your project? If so, please make sure that you do not remove any component when you create a new version.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Zsolt Kollarits

Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:07 pm

Hi Eusebiu,

Thanks for all the information you provided, based on your hints I modified our newest update pack to be a MAJOR update pack and re-tested the whole scenario. I can say the bug is gone now, all of our files are being replaced during the upgrade.

Thank you :)

Best regards,
Zsolt

Catalin

Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:21 pm

Thank you for your followup on this, Zsolt!

We are glad to hear you managed to find the culprit and that everything works as expected now.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”