leapingdog

Suddenly Unable to Uninstall a Program using Windows Uninstall

Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:00 am

My company has used the same Advanced Installer program for years, to install our custom software and its drivers. It works fine. We typically install it on Microsoft Windows Server 2019. We are encountering a strange error on one of our deployments where we can't UNINSTALL the program from windows using the Windows > Settings > Apps & Features window. When we click the application, in order to remove it, an error message comes up (see attached picture).

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item."

The file location is:
C:\ProgramData\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\{2594C8F8-8B08-43B8-B949-C043EDFF7A58}

The user account I am using is the administrator, and all permissions are set for the folders and files within.

I am able to uninstall the program by clicking the Installer's Setup.Exe file, then click the Remove button from the program. However, this is not ideal.

Additionally, I am able to use the Windows > Settings > Apps & Features window when logging on as another user (who does not have administrative rights) within the server. However, this is not ideal.
Attachments
Pic of Error Message.png
Pic of Error Message.png (80.36KiB)Viewed 4790 times

Catalin

Re: Suddenly Unable to Uninstall a Program using Windows Uninstall

Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:08 pm

Hello,

Unfortunately, this seems to rather be an issue with the machine/OS than the setup itself.

For more information about this, please have a look over the following thread:

"Windows can cannot access the specified device" when I try to uninstall

You can also find more information in the following Microsoft article:

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file" error when you try to install, update or start a program or file

or in the following StackOverflow thread:

Cannot uninstall application in Windows 10

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”