JLM

UPDATING COMPONENT REGISTRATION takes to long time

Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:49 pm

Hello,

I am a new user of Advanced Installer, I am using version 18.9

On my project there are 3 features and a total of almost 9000 files.
During installation, the task "Update component registration" takes a long time.
For each feature I checked the 'Mark components in these features as "Do not register with Windows Installer"' box, I expected the files (infact all components) to not be registred and that the task takes less time but this is not the case, more than 1 minute is needed for this task.

In an attempt to reduce the instalaltion time, I tried to check the box "Fast installation -"optimized file costing and copy, indeterminate preogress", but with this option, during the installation, the prpgress bar is no more animated and the label under the progress bar is always "Installing files", it's maybe a bug.

Best Regards
--Jean-Luc

Liviu

Re: UPDATING COMPONENT REGISTRATION takes to long time

Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:38 pm

Hello Jean-Luc,

Thank you for your interest in Advanced Installer.

Please keep in mind this is the Windows Installer behavior. The installation process is a set of actions entirely handled by Windows Installer.
The install time is in direct proportion with the project's complexity - the number and size of the resources, merge modules, assemblies etc. All these factors will influence the installation time. Updating components registration is contained by a Windows Installer standard action and cannot be skipped. Through this action all the components are registered. The amount of time the installations remains in this stage is in direct proportion with the number of files/components of your project.

The installation process takes more time during "ProcessComponents" and "InstallFiles" standard action because during these actions Windows Installer will register all of your installation components, respectively copying the installation resource file on target machine. Therefore when having a very large amount of installation files these actions will take a long time to finish.

Also, I don't think you can workaround over this behavior since the "Fast installation" was the only option.

Can you please send us the .AIP (setup project) file by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can have a look on it?

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”