hthomas

Error 1309 during installation

Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:24 pm

Hello!

I sometimes get this error when I try to install my application built with AI.

This is the interesting part of the MSI error log:

Code: Select all

MSI (s) (DC:C0) [08:40:55:644]: Executing op: FileCopy(SourceName=SOURCE~1.OTF|SourceSansPro-Black.otf,SourceCabKey=SourceSansProBlack.otf,DestName=SourceSansPro-Black.otf,Attributes=0,FileSize=122372,PerTick=65536,,VerifyMedia=1,,,,,CheckCRC=0,Version=65535.65535.65535.65535,Language=0,InstallMode=58982400,,,,,,,)
MSI (s) (DC:C0) [08:40:55:644]: File: C:\...\Fonts\SourceSansPro-Black.otf;	To be installed;	Won't patch;	No existing file
MSI (s) (DC:C0) [08:40:55:644]: Source for file 'SourceSansPro-Black.otf' is uncompressed, at 'C:\...\9D3A571\Styles\Fonts\'.
MSI (s) (DC:C0) [08:40:55:645]: Folder is not accessible: C:\...\9D3A571\Styles
MSI (s) (DC:C0) [08:40:55:645]: Note: 1: 1309 2: 3 3: ...\9D3A571\Styles\Fonts\SourceSansPro-Black.otf 
MSI (s) (DC:C0) [08:40:55:647]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (s) (DC:C0) [08:41:02:463]: Transforming table Error.

MSI (s) (DC:C0) [08:41:02:464]: Produkt: ... -- Fehler 1309. Fehler beim Lesen von Datei: C:\...\SourceSansPro-Black.otf.  Systemfehler 3. Überprüfen Sie, ob die Datei existiert und ob Sie darauf zugreifen können.

MSI (s) (DC:C0) [08:41:02:465]: Transforming table Error.

I couldn't really reproduce the issue, but I found multiple seemingly random occurences:
- After uninstalling the product, and trying to install the same version again. Probably during an update, but I don't have exact info as it happened with our customers. Installing a newer version of the application sometimes solves the issue. Trying to reinstall the same version results in this error, even after a reboot. The problem here is that it is not possible to install the application anymore, and we have to create a new version which hopefully fixes the issue (but cannot really count on that). In some cases, installing an older version, then updating helps, but this seems to be random.
- Updating using the updater while the application is run; when the warning pops up, I choose to force close the application, which usually works and the installer continues, but after a while, I get this error. In this case, if I abort, then start again the installer, it works and the application is installed without any further issue.
- Once the issue came after an uninstall and reinstall, and I realized that an executable of my application got stuck. I closed it, and then restarted the installer, and it worked. So the issue seems to be related to a stuck application, but what really worries me is the first case, where even a reboot does not solve the problem.

I noticed that if I look at the temp dir during the install, where the msi contents are extracted, I see no extracted files at all, only the downloaded msi (this is observed when this error happens).

Catalin

Re: Error 1309 during installation

Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:43 pm

Hello Thomas,

This is quite a strange behavior, indeed.

Unfortunately, I can not say for sure why this is happening. Judging by the log file, it looks like the issue is with a font you are trying to register.

I can not really see from the log file, but this error might occur if the extraction path is a long path.

The maximum length of a file path in Windows is 260 characters. So, if your installer files would have a file path (after being extracted in the extract location) longer than 260 characters, then the installation package won't be able to access them.

If possible, could you please forward the following resources by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com:

- a copy of your .AIP file

- a download link for your setup

- a step by step test case which I can use to reproduce this

so I can further investigate this on our end?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

hthomas

Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:34 pm

Hi Catalin,

thanks for the quick reply!
The full path for that file is less than 100 characters long, so I think that's fine; although, in the log, I see old DOS format file names with the '~' character. Weird.

I'll send you the AI file and the full log.
I'll need some time to get everything ready for step by step instructions about reproducing the issue, because we couldn't do it 100% so far, but I'll try to find a scenario that always works.

Greetings,
Thomas

Catalin

Thu Dec 23, 2021 4:32 pm

Hello Thomas,

Just wanted to followup on this thread to let you know that I have received the email that contain the resources.

This is currently under our investigation and I will followup on email as soon as I will have an answer.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”