DKirschner

Paths are broken after Upgrade

Mon Jan 17, 2022 2:18 pm

Our Installer Project starts a Tomcat9 Web Application as a Windows Service. It successfully does so on Frist-time Install, but when we try to Upgrade from an old to a newer version of our product, the Tomcat service won't start.

We have come to the conclusion that the Upgrade process somehow messes up the paths.

This is the Path to the executable for the service on first time install:
"C:\Program Files\CompanyName\programName\tomcat\bin\Tomcat9.exe" //RS//programName

and after update:
"C:\Program Files\CompanyName\programName\tomcat\bin\\Tomcat9.exe" //RS//programName

Due to the double slash, Tomcat is not found, Catalina is not found and the Custom Action to start the Service returns an error. The tomcat directory is configured to be removed and recreated on install/update.

Now we haven't figured out when and why AI butchers our paths.

I searched through both Install logs (first-time and upgrade) and looked at the paths and what I noticed is that a trailing slash is always the norm. That is okay. But I found this part of the Upgrade log where the property apachetomcatDir does not have a trailing slash. (although it is corrected right away. Maybe too late?)

Zeile 3403: MSI (s) (24:D8) [16:45:37:098]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Adding apachetomcat_Dir property. Its value is 'C:\Program Files\CompanyName\programName\tomcat'.
Zeile 3431: MSI (s) (24:D8) [16:45:37:105]: PROPERTY CHANGE: Modifying apachetomcat_Dir property. Its current value is 'C:\Program Files\CompanyName\programName\tomcat'. Its new value: 'C:\Program Files\CompanyName\programName\tomcat\'.

We are running Windows 11 operating System on our dev maschine. I can provide logs or the project .api on request.

Liviu

Re: Paths are broken after Upgrade

Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:34 pm

Hi and welcome to our forums,

I'm sorry for the delayed reply on this.

Unfortunately, I can't really say why this is happening.

In order for us to further investigate this issue, can you please send us the following resources:

1. the old .AIP (setup project) file
2. the new .AIP (setup project) file
3. and an installation log

by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com?

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”