ASamanta

Malformed XML in AIP file from 19.1

Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:29 pm

Hello,

We use TeamCity to build our MSI installers, and ever since we updated from 18.8.1 to 19.1 we are getting an error when modifying the AIP file and building in TeamCity. We can build the installers manually within Advanced Installer, but moving it out to our build server throws this error in the build log.
Failed to load AIP file. Exception: Character reference "&#4" is an invalid XML character.
I have narrowed it down to an attribute that is being added that is tied to the MachineKeys in the IIS web application setting. When opening the project in 19.1, a few new attributes have been added to the VirtualDirectoriesComponent ROW. We do not use any special configuration for the app pools or application settings other than install conditions, and have a pretty basic out-of-the-box IIS setup in Advanced Installer.
<COMPONENT cid="caphyon.advinst.msicomp.VirtualDirectoriesComponent">
<ROW VirtualDirectoryId="0" Path="..." Condition="..." AccessFlags="..." AccessPerm="..." AppPool="0" ContentExpireUnits="0" ContentExpireTime="0" MachineKeys="&#4;" VirtualDirectory="..." WebApplication="0"/>
</COMPONENT>
When I open the .aip file in something like Notepad++ with the XML Tools plugin installed, I get an XML parsing error similar to what is displayed in TeamCity. When I remove the MachineKeys="&#4;" text from my ROW, everything works like normal again, but opening the file in Advanced Installer will re-add it.

Is there something I can do to prevent this attribute from being added to this file? I cannot build it in TeamCity without manually removing this attribute anytime I make changes.

Catalin

Re: Malformed XML in AIP file from 19.1

Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:01 pm

Hello Samanta and welcome to our forums,

Unfortunately, I can not say for sure why this is happening.

Please allow me some time to discuss this with our development team and I will followup on this thread once I will have a conclusive answer.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Catalin

Wed Feb 09, 2022 11:15 am

Hello Samanta,

After further discussions with the development team, it looks like there is indeed a serialization problem in our latest versions.

I have created an issue in this regard and hopefully this will be fixed in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin

sjblack@gmail.com

Wed Mar 16, 2022 1:32 pm

Hello,

I have ran into this problem also is there any update on when it will be resolved?

Regards,
Sj

Catalin

Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:10 pm

Hello Sj,

Unfortunately, this has not yet been fixed.

Once a fix will be available, I will update this forum thread.

For now, I have increased the ticket's priority and hopefully this will be fixed in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Best regards,
Catalin

sjblack@gmail.com

Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:08 pm

Okay, thanks for the response.

Time to rollback again...

Look forward to the update.

Regards,
Sj

Catalin

Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:37 pm

You are always welcome, Sj!

I will update this thread as soon as this will be fixed.

Best regards,
Catalin

Catalin

Fri May 27, 2022 2:06 pm

Hello,

This has been fixed in version 19.5 of Advanced Installer, released on May 23rd, 2022.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”