othulke

Start menu shortcut missing after upgrade to 19.3

Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:02 pm

Hi again,

after upgrading von AI 18.4 to 19.3 we are getting unexpected behavior concerning start menu shortcuts in a setup with installation type "Per-machine if user is admin, per-user otherwise" (setup run by local admin):

Upon installation of the product (setup built with AI 18.4) a start menu shortcut is being created as configured in AI. ("Application Shortcut Folder" is set to a subfolder of the "ProgramMenuFolder" property).
When upgrading the product (setup also built by AI 18.4) the shortcut (including pinned shortcuts) are properly re-created (the log shows FolderRemove and FolderCreate entries for the configured folder and a subsequent ShortcutCreate).

After a recent upgrade to AI 19.3 the start menu shortcut (and all pinned shortcuts) completely vanish when upgrading our product from any previous version. The log only contains a FolderRemove entry without a matching FolderCreate. ShortcutCreate is still called.

A fresh install with the AI 19.3-built setup properly creates the shortcut as desired.

Other products using installation type "Per-machine only" do not show the above behavior.
The project has been updated from AI 18.4 by loading it in 19.3 and then directly saving it. No other changes were made.

Is this a known bug in AI 19.3 or do we require any other changes to the project for the icon to be properly re-created during a product upgrade?

Best regards,
Oliver

Catalin

Re: Start menu shortcut missing after upgrade to 19.3

Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:14 pm

Hello Oliver,

I have done some tests on my end, but unfortunately I was not able to reproduce the same behavior.

If possible, could you please create a sample project that reproduces this and forward it to me by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com? Additionally, a test-case that showcases the steps I need to take would be great as well.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

othulke

Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:56 am

Hello Catalin,

we created a small reproduction project that shows the exact same behavior.
The mail is on the way.

Best regards,
Oliver

othulke

Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:24 am

Hello Catalin,

unfortunately your mail server keeps rejecting the reproduction files, as they contain executables.
Please advise another way to transfer the files.

Best regards,
Oliver

Catalin

Mon May 02, 2022 12:46 pm

Hello Oliver,

I have replied to you over the email.

Let's continue the thread there until we find a resolution to this.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”