kmauzoul

"A more recent version of SmartViews Test is already installed on this computer"

Good Morning,

I'm currently running into this problem with an installer we wrote -

The Upgrade code has remained the same through the life of this, with only the Product Code changes. We created a new project and ported the Upgrade code but the error still persists. Attached is the new project we created from scratch, the log, and screenshots of the registry - the only manual change created here was using the "Upgrade" code from the previous installer so it upgrades -
Registry.png
Registry.png (188.49 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
This is the GUID the log is complaining about being "newer", but the version I have in the installer is 452.3100, and what I have currently installed is 452.2500 - I'm not sure where the hang up is as we've built newer versions of this installer since 452.2500 (452.2600, 452.3000, 452.3001), but 452.3100 is where we're seeing this problem
Attachments
SmartViews-TEST-log.txt
(82.26 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
SmartViews-TEST.aip
(58.41 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Catalin

Re: "A more recent version of SmartViews Test is already installed on this computer"

Hello,

Most likely, that is happening because you guys are not respecting the format for the "ProductVersion" property.
The format of the string is as follows:

major.minor.build
The first field is the major version and has a maximum value of 255. The second field is the minor version and has a maximum value of 255. The third field is called the build version or the update version and has a maximum value of 65,535.
and this may result in unexpected behavior.

You can read more about this in the following thread I've written some time ago:

A more recent version of X is already installed on this computer - corner case scenario and how to avoid it

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
kmauzoul

Re: "A more recent version of SmartViews Test is already installed on this computer"

Catalina -

Thank you ! This is an awesome read and makes perfect sense -
Catalin

You are always welcome!

Glad I could help.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”