azvargas

Update duplicates entry in program list.

Wed May 11, 2022 1:15 am

Hello. We have 2 versions of our product: the version that comes from dev branch (using for tests), and the version that comes from the master branch. Each version has its own product and upgrade keys.

When there is only one version installed on the computer (dev or master), and we install a newer version (without uninstalling the former), the installer leaves only one entry in the installed software list, as it should be. But when we have both versions, every time we run a newer version the installer leaves the entry of the former version in the installed software list. We're trying to figure out this issue, but we had no idea why is this happening.

Catalin

Re: Update duplicates entry in program list.

Wed May 11, 2022 10:03 am

Hello and welcome to our forums,
But when we have both versions, every time we run a newer version the installer leaves the entry of the former version in the installed software list. We're trying to figure out this issue, but we had no idea why is this happening.
Not quite sure I fully understand this. Could you please give me some more details?

For instance, if both dev and master have different UpgradeCodes, then they will be treated as different packages by the OS.

Now, if you want to update only the master one, all you need to do is:

- increase its version (e.g. from 1.0.0 to 1.0.1 or 2.0.0)

- change the ProductCode

- rebuild the project

Now, considering v1.0.0 of both are installed on the machine, if you launch the next version of the "master" installer, you should obtain the following:

- v1.0.0 of "dev" still installed

- v1.0.1 of "master" installed (while v1.0.0 is removed)

Product Identification (ProductCode and UpgradeCode)

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

azvargas

Wed May 11, 2022 10:17 pm

Hello Catalin. Thank you for your response.

- We use Advanced Installer to package our product.
- The product comes in two "editions":
1) Master: The build we made from the master branch
2) Dev: The build we made from the dev branch.
- Each edition has its own product key and upgrade key

The problem is as follows:
- Scenario one: A computer with only one edition installed (either Master or Dev)
- Computer has version 1.0 of the product.
- I run installer of version 1.1 to upgrade without uninstall 1.0
- The Panel Control program list shows only one entry of the software (v1.1) There is no problem with this scenario.

- Scenario two: A computer with both editions (Master & Dev) installed.
- Computer has version 1.0 of the Master edition and version 1.5 of the Dev edition.
- I run installer of version 1.1 of the Master edition to upgrade without uninstall 1.0
- The Panel Control program list shows both versions of the Master Edition (1.0 and 1.1) and version 1.5 of the Dev edition.
- The 1.0 should not be there because it has been replaced. This is the problem we're facing.

The point are the duplicate entries in the Panel Control installed software list.

I hope I have explained better. Thank you very mucho for your support.

Catalin

Tue May 17, 2022 12:11 pm

Hello,

Thank you very much for the explanation. Your scenario is indeed clearer for me now.

Unfortunately, I can not say for sure why this is happening.

In order for me to further investigate this, could you please forward me the following resources:

- a copy of the .AIP file for the Master version (here, it would be great if you could forward me for both 1.0 and 1.1 version)

- a copy of the .AIP file for the Dev version

- a download link for v1.0 of Master version

- a download link for v1.1 of Master version

- a download link for v1.5 of Dev version

by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com?

If I were to make an assumption here, I would say that the Master and the Dev version have some shared components. Basically, both of them being installed, when you install v1.1 of the Master version, it will try to remove the v1.0 version, but some files from v1.0 and v1.5 of Dev version are shared.

This can be done by creating a log file and looking for the message presented in the following forum thread (also, you have there a brief explanation of what Shared Components are):

Re: Cant uninstall an app installed by Advanced Installer ?

Best regards,
Catalin

azvargas

Thu May 26, 2022 7:25 pm

Hello Catalin,

Thank you for your response. I'll send the e-mail with all the requested data.

Regards,

Catalin

Mon May 30, 2022 3:07 pm

Hello Azael,

Thank you for the provided resources.

I have replied to you over the email.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”