Fazlur Shaikh

.net 4.8 /norestart shows error in installer

Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:02 pm

Hi Team,

We have an installer that has .net 4.8 as a pre-install prerequisite.
This is a mandatory prerequisite.
ndp48-x86-x64-allos-enu.exe

During the install, the command line params are-
/passive /norestart /log "%Temp%\DotNET48-Install.log"

We are getting response in the log file as shown in the attached image "Screenshot 2022-08-23 195224.png"

Even though the .net framework is installed successfully, with a pending reboot, the installer is failing.
The installer has install parameters 'Reboot behavior' set as "Prompt for Reboot when required".

Please help us in identifying this as success and not error.

Best,
FRS.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-08-23 195224.png
Screenshot 2022-08-23 195224.png (82.01KiB)Viewed 2021 times

NovaES

Re: .net 4.8 /norestart shows error in installer

Thu Aug 25, 2022 8:39 am

You use this in the 3 command line boxes in your installation. It is the best option that has worked for me and has not given me any problems.

/q /norestart
Attachments
command.PNG
command.PNG (4.08KiB)Viewed 1997 times

Catalin

Re: .net 4.8 /norestart shows error in installer

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:16 pm

Hello Fazlur,

As you can see, that error is given by the prerequisite setup itself, not by your setup. As per my knowledge, .NET Framework indeed requires a reboot after its installation in order for the system to consider it being installed.

This is why the "Conitnue with the main installation even if prerequisite was not installed" is checked by default for this prerequisite.

The above option simply checks the install conditions one more time after the prerequisite is installed. In the case of .NET Framework, this is a registry entry.

Registry entries are updated for .NET Framework only after the system has been rebooted so that would always give an error in your main package if the option would be unchecked.

Please try the approach given by @NovaES and let me know if everything works as expected.

@NovaES, thank you for contributing to our forums and for sharing your solution with us.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”