bogdan.condur

Visual bug in patch's UI

Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:41 pm

Hello.

We're about to start implementing the auto-update feature, which means we'll start using patches as well.

The problem is that, when we create a patch, the user interface looks weird and there's no way we can deliver them like this to the clients.
We're using the Enhanced User Interface option as well, since our dialogs are heavily modified and of course, we're using the bootstrapper option.

My scenario is as follows. I've got 2 applications a 21.0.0 version and a 21.0.2 version. Both have the same product code, in order to be able to create the patch.
When I create the patch, I get no errors in the output; I also compile the bootstrapper version of the patch.

When I try to apply to patch 21.0.2 patch on top of 21.0.0, the UI looks broken. Another weird thing I mentioned is that, no matter what sort of patch I compile, .msi or .exe, the dialogs look the same on both versions.
I've attached 2 images with the correct dialog and the patch's broken dialog.

Any ideas on how I could fix this?

Sidenote: in the app's .aip, the dialogs in the 'Patch Section' are configured properly, like the rest of the sections.
We're using the AI 18.1.1 version.
Attachments
broken_patch_dialog.JPG
broken_patch_dialog.JPG (63.28KiB)Viewed 4119 times
correct_dialog.JPG
correct_dialog.JPG (63.97KiB)Viewed 4119 times

Catalin

Re: Visual bug in patch's UI

Fri Aug 26, 2022 3:47 pm

Hello Bogdan and welcome to our forums,

Please note that this behavior is normal.

A patch is very similar to an MSI file. Our "Enhanced User Interface" option is not compatible with the MSI, this being the reason why the output package is changed from MSI to EXE when using any theme other than the "Classic" one.

Since the Enhanced User Interface is not supported in the MSI, it will not be supported in the MSP (patch) either.

If there is anything else I could help you with, please let me know and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

bogdan.condur

Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:41 am

Hi Catalin. Thank you for your answer!

I was expecting the 'bootstrapper' build option of the patch to enable the Enhanced User Interface as well.
Why would one use this option though? Just to have the possibility to change the .exe icon and/or add a command line to it?

Catalin

Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:02 pm

Hello Bogdan,

You are always welcome!

Well, the Enhanced User Interface is one option that would require our EXE bootstrapper, but it's not the only one.

Another example of this would be handling pre-install prerequisites as well. This can be done only with our EXE.

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin

bogdan.condur

Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:59 am

Thank you for the reply.

This is still unclear to me: if the bootstrapper option from the Patch is selected, why do I still have these 'visual bugs' appearing? If the Enhanced User Interface is enabled while this option is selected, shouldn't the dialogs of the patch behave just like the big installer?

You said that a patch is very similar to a MSI, but since the patch is packed with the bootstrapper (just like you can pack a normal installer?), shouldn't the Enhanced User Interface act accordingly for the patch as well?

Catalin

Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:32 pm

Hello Bogdan,

As previously explained:

1. the Enhanced User Interface feature requires the EXE bootstrapper

2. on the other hand, the EXE bootstrapper does not require the Enhanced User Interface

2) means you can use the EXE bootstrapper for other purposes than the EUI. For instance, you could use it for pre-install prerequisites (which can not be handled by the MSI) or you could use it for no reason at all (you simply want an EXE and not an MSI).

Hope things are clearer now.

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”