lornemartin

custom update schedule with professional version?

Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:08 pm

I am trying to figure out whether I can set up a schedule where my app checks and installs updates on a regular basis. I only have the professional version, so I don't think so, but I'm a bit confused. When I click the `Automatic` option in the `Updater Execution` section (#1 in attached screenshot), I get a message saying I need to upgrade to the Enterprise version to use the feature. But I also see some other options in the `Update Behavior` section (#2 in attached screenshot) that *appear* to support checking for updates on a schedule. However when I build an installer with the settings in the screenshot, it doesn't appear to ever check for updates by itself without manually triggering the check. Could you please clarify on intended functionality for the professional version?
Attachments
Updater.png
Updater.png (38.68KiB)Viewed 1297 times

Catalin

Re: custom update schedule with professional version?

Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:05 pm

Hello Martin,

You are indeed right here, the UX is a bit confusing for this option.

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention. I will discuss this with the developer in charge and we will try to make the experience better for our users.
I only have the professional version, so I don't think so
Regarding this, I'm afraid you are also right. That option, what it does, basically it creates a scheduled task that will check for updates automatically. In Advanced Installer, the "Task Scheduler" feature is available starting with our Enterprise suite, as per the following article:

Top Enterprise Features - Scheduler

If you'd like here, you could achieve similar behavior by using custom actions/custom behavior, e.g.:

1. you could have a custom executable that would check on your server the version, compare it to the version already installed and if it's higher, launch the updater.exe to download it. You could install this custom executable as a service with your package, making sure it always runs.

2. you could create the scheduled task through a custom action (e.g. a PowerShell script).

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

lornemartin

Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:20 pm

thanks for the confirmation.

Catalin

Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:38 am

You are always welcome, Martin!

After further investigations, it looks like everything is working as expected here.

Somehow, it looks like I have misunderstood your scenario.

Basically, the "Check and automatically install" option refers, as stated in the name, to an automatic installation of the updates, not automatic check for updates.

With that being said, it is normal for the user to be able to select that option, even if the "Manual: from application, using a shortcut, etc" option is enabled.

Hope I was able to shed some light over this.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”