tpatrick_r

Auto Extract COM Not working

Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:05 pm

I have an enterprise AI 18.7 merge module project that has been working with my installers for a while. The current production merge module registers our COM DLL properly. However, on my development machine (and VMs), the COM DLL is no longer registered during install. I am concerned that this problem will spread to my production installer machine once I push my project changes there.
In the "Files and Folders" dialog, for this DLL I have "Auto Register File" checked , "extract registration info" selected and "Synchronization": Enabled.
When I build or change the DLL, I see "Registration info was successfully extracted from file" However, when I look in the COM dialog - no registration information is listed. (Previously, I saw entries here when it was working) So it is failing to extract COM registration info from my DLL and thinks there is nothing to register during installation.
If I switch the file to "AutoRegister":"Self Register" it will properly install. (but I don't want to choose this method - as the recommended approach has been working up to this point)
Any suggestions? Do you know what might cause this failure? Thanks!

tpatrick_r

Re: Auto Extract COM Not working

Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:35 am

I think I resolved this. I'm not sure why, but the COM registration extract step returns empty whenever our new network security software is running on machine.

Liviu

Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:52 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Thank you for your follow-up on this. I'm sure this will help others facing a similar scenario to yours.

This is quite strange indeed and I was not able to reproduce this on my machine. You can try to see if you can reproduce this on multiple clean machines (perhaps from outside your network).

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Best regards,
Liviu

tpatrick_r

Thu Sep 08, 2022 9:47 pm

I noticed that in a much more current version of Advanced Installer, there was a maintenance update to resolve an issue with COM reg extraction. https://www.advancedinstaller.com/relea ... l#bugfixes May I have the steps to reproduce that issue? Or alternatively, let me know that that issue is unrelated to my issue (which only happens when my cloud network security is turned on) I would like to know if I should upgrade to get this fix.

Liviu

Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:41 am

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't think this fix is related to your issue. This issue only appeared in version 19.8 and was related to the Updater COM. The "up to date" message was not displayed on the File --> Help --> About menu.

In your case it looks like your network security interfers with the COM registration but I cannot say why. Perhaps it changes the permission on the COM folder.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”