nchounlapane

Subsequent prerequisites do not install after updating AdoptOpenJDK to Eclipse Adoptium

Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:02 pm

I have an installer with a list of prerequisites. The goal is to upgrade the machine that has AdoptOpenJDK JRE with Hotspot 8.0.212.03 (x64) currently installed and upgrading to Eclipse Temurin JRE with Hotspot 8u322-b06 (x64), including any other prerequisites (in this example, lets call it SubPrereq) that need upgrading. The upgrade path goes as follows:

Machine:
-AdoptOpenJDK JRE with Hotspot 8.0.212.03 (x64)
-SubPrereq version 1.0.0

Required:
-Eclipse Temurin JRE with Hotspot 8u322-b06 (x64)
-SubPrereq version 2.0.0

The prerequisite installer contains Eclipse Temurin JRE and SubPrereq version 2.0.0. There seems to be an issue after upgrading into Eclipse Temurin JRE, the prerequisite installer states that SubPrereq mandatory prerequisite was not installed correctly. The prerequisite installer prematurely ends the installer after installing Eclipse Temurin JRE. It seems is that Eclipse Temurin uninstalls AdoptOpenJDK JRE, but requires a reboot (which was suppressed by setting the install command line), which for some reason halts any proceeding prerequisites that follow?

Troubleshooting
-Eclipse Temurin JRE Install Command lines contain the /norestart flag
-Set Reboot behavior to Suppress all Reboots and Reboot prompts

Is there a way to upgrade OpenJDK products within a prerequisite install that wouldn't halt the installation of prerequisites that proceed it?

Will provide sample projects if needed.

Catalin

Re: Subsequent prerequisites do not install after updating AdoptOpenJDK to Eclipse Adoptium

Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:35 pm

Hello,

This is indeed a strange behavior.

Yes, if possible, please provide a sample project by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further test and investigate this.

At this moment, I can only think of a solution and that would be rescheduling your prerequisites, i.e. place "SubPrereq 2.0.0" before "Eclipse Temurin JRE with Hotspot 8u322-b06 (x64)". Of course, this would be a viable solution only if SubPrereq2 indeed fails due to the Eclipse Temurin prerequisite and not because its' install condition being bad.

Despite the message, is "SubPrereq 1.0.0" upgraded to "SubPrereq 2.0.0"? That message is thrown by us through the "Continue with the main installation even if prerequisite was not installed" option. This option evaluates the install condition a second time after the installation. The logic would be as it follows:

- before the prerequisite is installed, the condition is checked and it should be FALSE - meaning that the prerequisite is NOT installed

- after the installation, the condition is checked and it should be TRUE - meaning that the prerequisite was correctly installed

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

nchounlapane

Re: Subsequent prerequisites do not install after updating AdoptOpenJDK to Eclipse Adoptium

Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:14 pm

I have already tried rescheduling the prerequisites, which kind of worked. It resulted in SubPrereq upgrading as expected and installing Eclipse Temurin JRE, but did something unusual where it pops up "Eclipse Temurin JRE with Hotspot 8u322-b06 (x64) mandatory prerequisite was not installed correctly", but the installation continues on after selecting the OK button.

The "Continue with the main installation even if prerequisite was not installed" as FALSE/Unchecked is mandatory in our installation.

I have sent the sample project(s) to the support email with instructions on how to replicate.

Nick

Catalin

Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:33 pm

Hello Nick,

I have answered your email.

Let's continue the thread there and I will update this forum thread once we will reach a conclusive answer.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”