MiguelOM

Organize IIS Web Applications

Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:40 am

Hello,

I am creating an installer for a Web Application, and I want to organize IIS WebSites in a specific way like this:
Organization OK.jpg
Organization OK.jpg (7.3KiB)Viewed 4073 times
* this folder should be a regular folder, not a virtual directory, because it is just for organize it all.

I have reached this point, but now, I need to add some difficult to it.

Also, I need to get "Applications", "Web1" from properties. I have created two properties to take them from user, and I used them to create the IIS virtual directory and web application. But, as "Applications" folder is a virtual directory, not a regular folder, it has a physical path, and it creates a virtual folder into the IIS pointing to the installation content folder. And then, I have this result:
Organization KO.jpg
Organization KO.jpg (12.23KiB)Viewed 4073 times
How can I achieve to organize it as I showed in the first organization?

Than you so much in advance.

Miguel

Catalin

Re: Organize IIS Web Applications

Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:57 am

Hello Miguel,

I am not quite sure I fully understand your request here. If you could give me some more details about what you want to achieve, that would be great.
this folder should be a regular folder, not a virtual directory, because it is just for organize it all.
First of all, could you please let me know what do you mean by "regular folder"? How do you create such folder in IIS? I have had a look over the IIS Manager and didn't seem to be able to add a regular folder - just a Virtual Directory.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

MiguelOM

Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:33 pm

Hello Catalin,

What I mean by "Regular Folder" is just a folder that you can create with Explorer. If you create a folder "Applications" into inetpub/wwwroot and you go to Inet Manager, you see the structure like the first image I sent. It is just a folder that organizes a few applications. I cannot do it with Virtual Directory because I have to set a physical folder for it, and then, Inet Manager shows the application and the content of the physical folder you set to the Virtual Directory. It is not a problem, but it seems weird to work with it. The second image shows the Virtual Directory (Hemocod), the application (Reporting) and its Content Folder (Reporting Next). (The last one is the folder I don't want to be shown on Inet Manager).

I could do it playing with an empty folder. What I have done is to create a Virtual Directory and point it to an empty folder as a Physical Folder. That way, I can see only Applications and no Content folders.

Thank you so much for your support.

Best regards,

Miguel

Catalin

Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:41 pm

Hello Miguel,

Thank you for your followup on this!

It is now clearer for me what you were trying to achieve.

That "normal" folder can not really be created straight from the IIS Manager either, so I'm afraid you will not be able to create it using our IIS support either.

Have you tried creating the folder manually in the "Files and Folders" page and then adding your files there? Does that work?

Anyway, I am glad you found a solution to this! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”