WigginsAAE

Temp Files deleted on upgrade before custom action executed

Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:57 am

I believe this is a known issue but the workaround suggested is not practical. (see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23712#p60573)

The problem is with temp files required to run a custom action are deleted when an upgrade (which uninstalls previous version) is run, before the custom action that requires them is executed.

The suggested solution is to create a different temp folder name for each build, this means however that the custom actions I have created (which are command line calls that refer to the temp directory names) will have to be edited also for every new build....which is not very practical.

Are then any plans to fix this problem or can a different workaround be suggested that does not require changing my custom actions every time.

Thanks

Catalin

Re: Temp Files deleted on upgrade before custom action executed

Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:18 pm

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I indeed can agree that the workaround is not the best, but I'm afraid it's the only one currently available.

Regarding an internal "fix" to this, I'm afraid it might not be possible. This is simply how the upgrade operation works (uninstalling the older version and then installing the newer one) and this can not be changed.

Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”