japandave1

Suddenly unable to install update?

Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:08 am

Hey,

I have been using Advanced installer for the last year without issues until the otherday, which I think may have coincided with an Advanced Installer update. I am thinking that the update may have changed something that I am not aware of.

This is my process.
I have an 'Installer AIP' file which points to the folder holding the application. This has an UpDater which is in a shared folder on the Server.
I have an 'UpDate AIP' file which creates the text file in the shared folder on the Server.

1. I change the build No. in my application.
2. I rebuild the application.
3. I change the build number in 'Installer AIP' and get prompted and I select 'Create new product code'
4. I re-build the 'Installer AIP'
5. Once re-build is done, I update the build No. in the 'UpDate AIP' file
6. In the 'UpDate' menu item > Update installer Tab > product version > enter new build No.
7. In the 'UpDate' menu item > Update installer destination Tab > expected value > enter new build No.
8. Rebuild the file.
9. Copy the newly created MSI file to the shared folder on the Server.
10. Click on my application short cut and follow prompts to update the application.

Up until a few days this worked like clockwork. In the last week I did two things.
1. I updated the advanced installer application to 19.9
2. In my application I changed the connection string

The rebuilt files of my application are being updated in the AIP file correctly. The updater.exe and the updater.ini file is in there as well.

This is my 'Update' txt file output

Code: Select all

;aiu;

[TenantyChartInvoice121]
Name = TenantChartInvoice
ProductVersion = 1.6.23.0
URL = file://\\192.168.*.***\勤務関係/TenantChartInvoice.exe
Size = 115316250
ReleaseDate = 20/12/2021
MD5 = 6ed29c790babb8d615825a573e6cd57c
ServerFileName = TenantChartInvoice.exe
Flags = Sys64
RegistryKey = HKUD\Software\Progress\TenantChartInvoice\Version
Version = 1.6.23.0
Files sizes match and the error I get basically just says 'Update failed' in the message box and down the bottom under the message box it just says 'Some of the updates were not installed correctly'

EDIT: I have just noticed that the `Updater.exe` file in `C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 19.9\stubs\x86` folder has not been updated for about 10 days or about the same time that the updater stoped working. How do build the updater to update this file as this may be the issue why it is not updating correctly.

Any ideas what is going on?

Cheers Dave

Catalin

Re: Suddenly unable to install update?

Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:40 am

Hello Dave,

Although you receive that error message, can you confirm that the update is indeed installed correctly? For instance, if you go to Control Panel, is the new version installed there?

If the setup is installed as expected and you receive that message, most likely the culprit is the "Installed Detection" condition you are using.

I am talking about the "Update Installed Detection" tab from your "Updates Configuration" project.

This condition is checked twice, as it follows:

- before the installation of the new setup. Now, the condition must be false, meaning the new version is not already installed. This will result in the new version being installed

- after the installation of the new setup. Now, the condition must be true, meaning the new version was correctly installed.

With that being said, please make sure that whatever condition you are using there is true after installing the newer setup. For instance, if there's a registry search, please make sure the registry entry exists after installing the setup and it has the right value.

If you want, you can skip the second check by checking the "Do not try to detect if the update was installed" option.

Why do I receive the "Error: Update installation failed. Some of the updates failed to install properly" message?

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

japandave1

Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:31 am

Hi Catalin,

The package is correctly installed with the correct verison.

I tried what you said and unchecked the "Do Not Try to dectect update was installed" and now the error has gone. But I have the "Start application after update is complete" check box checked and it does not start. It looks like the installer is doing something then shuts down. Upon trying to open the now correctly installed application I get greeted with "An update was found" and I do the whole install process again. This is now an endless loop of installing the same package and when trying open the app again it always says there is an update.

I tired unistalling my app to no avail.
BTW, if I delete the "Updates.txt" it runs correctly but , obviously will not find new updates without it.

I can't understand what is going on, I changed nothing.

Do you have a paid option were someone can check my files and the setup to fix any issues over Zoom or Teams? This is a criticle issue as my clients cannot use the application right now.

Any help is appreciated.
Dave

Catalin

Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:28 am

Hello Dave,
The package is correctly installed with the correct verison.
That's good news!

Well, this issue you are encountering happens for the exact same reason as the previous one.

If you have a quick look over my last thread, you can see that I mentioned the conditon being evaluated twice:

- once before the upgrade, where it must be false

- once after the upgrade, where it must be true (this can be disabled through the option I previously mentioned)

In your case, most likely, the condition is incorrect and it triggers the Updater consistently (e.g. when you double click on it).

I would advise double checking that condition and making sure it is correct.

Additionally, if possible, please forward me the following resources:

- a copy of the old AIP file (the one that builds the old version)

- a copy of the new AIP file (the one that builds the new version)

- a copy of your Upgrades Configuration Project

- a download link for the first version of your setup (the one that has to be updated)

- a download link for the new version of your setp (the one that is supposed to be downloaded and that is replacing the old version)

by email at support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Best regards,
Catalin

japandave1

Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:05 am

Hi Catalin,

I finally was able to fix the issue. I was using "a registry value search" for file detection and I changed it to "a file version search" and this fixed the issue.

Thanks for the help as it was your help that enabled me to fix this. I still don't know why "a registry value search" for file detection is not working but, it is working as it should now and I am happy and relieved.

Cheers Dave

Catalin

Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:39 am

Hello Dave,

You are always welcome!

I am glad everything is working as expected now!

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Common Problems”