McKool

Unable to edit configurable property in Merge Module

Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:05 am

Using AI version 19.7

Hello,

I have a merge module project that defines a configurable parameter. When configured from the host, this value is stored in a property. I did not change this since years. Now I wanted to check the value but it seems as it is not possible (wihtout modifying the ModuleSubstitution table manually). See picture attached.

I can find the parameter when I search for it, but the actions "Go to Definition " and "Go to Table Editor" of the context meny wihtin the result fields do not work.

The question is, how can i open the "Edit Substitution Parameter" window for this configurable parameter?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
AI_v19.7.PNG
AI_v19.7.PNG (66.09KiB)Viewed 5906 times

Catalin

Re: Unable to edit configurable property in Merge Module

Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:09 pm

Hello,

First of all, please accept my apologies for the delayed reply.

I'm afraid I do not fully understand your scenario here.

If possible, could you please give me some more details about it (perhaps a step-by-step test case which I can follow in order to reproduce the issue on my end as well)?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

McKool

Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:01 am

Hello Catalin,

I am going to try to formulate the problem better: I have created a configurable property within a merge module using an older version of AI (do not remember which one, kind of 10 years ago). This is, when using the merge module in a host project, I can configure a value that will be placed into a property in my merge module.

So, I just wanted to check this property using my current Advanced Installer (AI v19.7) and noted, I cannot access this anymore, as the context menu "Configurable" is for the properties disabled, as shown in my picture. I made a "Search" in the picture too, only to let you see that the property is indeed configured, only not accessible from the UI.

Moreover, It seems as a property cannot be configurable anymore. Here the steps to check this:
  1. Create a new merge module project
  2. Go to the page "Properties" within the section "Custom Behavior"
  3. Create a new property
  4. Now, try to make this property configurable, for instance, by doing right click on it and selecting "Configurable >" from the submenu
If this is still not clear, please let me know.

Thanks for your help,

Best regards,

Catalin

Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:24 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this!

I have done some research and it looks like the properties are no longer "configurable" in the latest versions of Advanced Installer.

As you can see in the following article:

Configurable Merge Modules Page

they are no longer listed as "configurable".

To be fully honest with you, I am not quite sure when this change occured, or why it did.

If you have any other questions, please let me know and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin

McKool

Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:54 pm

Hello,
Catalin wrote: To be fully honest with you, I am not quite sure when this change occured, or why it did.
I did some checking and it looks like this change was made at the same time the properties were moved to their own "Properties" page.They were located on the "Module Details" page within the Module Information section. I tested this with Advanced Installer v17. 1.2 (the one I was using before 19.x) and it still worked

Catalin

Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:21 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this!

Is this a trivial feature for you? I can discuss this with the developer to see why it has been removed (I assume there's a good reason why) and if it's possible to add it back.

Best regards,
Catalin

McKool

Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:31 pm

Hello,

thanks for the reply.
Catalin wrote:Is this a trivial feature for you?
Even when it is not too important, I wouldn't say it is trivial. I use this in production, i.e. I deliver a merge module with my product since several years, which uses such a configurable property. If I someday need to change something on this property , it will not be possible with new verisons of AI.
Catalin wrote: I can discuss this with the developer to see why it has been removed
This could be indeed intersting to know, as the funcitonality is still supported (the configurable property was upgraded with my AI project, and it still works). I only cannot create a new one, or edit the current one.

Thanks

Catalin

Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:39 pm

Hello,

Thank you for the followup on this. Good to know that this is not urgent.
This could be indeed intersting to know, as the funcitonality is still supported (the configurable property was upgraded with my AI project, and it still works). I only cannot create a new one, or edit the current one.
I have just forwarded this question to our developer and I will followup here once I will have more infromation.

Best regards,
Catalin

Catalin

Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:42 am

Hello

This has been fixed in version 20.1 of Advanced Installer, released on November 16th, 2022.

Best regards,
Catalin

McKool

Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:54 am

Thanks!

Catalin

Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:58 am

You are always welcome!