dat.tran

Digital Signature is not working

Hi all,

I'm developing a windows software and I already successfully built a MSI installer with AdvanceInstaller.

It's working pretty well. However, my manager wants me to add a digital certificate to the MSI, so that it becomes more trust-worthy and a client would be happily install our software. It's very critical for us to add this digital certificate.

Here is what I'm doing so far (please look at the the image i attached):
- I open AdvanceInstaller dashboard and go to the Digital Signature section and enable the signaling option.
- At my company, my company already purchased for me an outlook digital certificate for signing and sending my E-Mails, it is in PKCS #12 format
- SO, I think I can not only use this outlook digital certificate for signing E-Mail but also for the code signing purpose as well.
- Therefore, I go ahead and import this certificate.p12 to AdvanceInstaller from my disk.

- Overall, my setup looks like this:
AI_certificate_support1.PNG
AI_certificate_support1.PNG (68.17 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
- But building process throws me an error at the end:
Error message: 'SignTool Error: No certificates were found that met all the given criteria.
AI_certificate_support2.PNG
AI_certificate_support2.PNG (18.15 KiB) Viewed 1734 times
My question is, am I using a invalid certificate? If it is the case, how can I purchase a certificate? (for example where I should go and buy a certificate and how long will the procedure take)

Thank you all a lot for your answer :D

Kindly Regards,
Dat Tran
Liviu

Re: Digital Signature is not working

Hello Dat Tran,
- SO, I think I can not only use this outlook digital certificate for signing E-Mail but also for the code signing purpose as well.
Can you please ask your certificate vendor if your certificate supports code signing? If so, you can ask them how to export the certificate as .pfx and then try to use it again in Advanced Installer.

You can also call SignTool.exe directly with any desired command line. For this just select the "Custom" Sign Tool under the "Enable Signing" option.
If it is the case, how can I purchase a certificate? (for example where I should go and buy a certificate and how long will the procedure take)
I cannot really recommend you a vendor because we are not affiliated with any of them and most of the time our users already have a certificate.

Please have a look on the below document:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xrJ ... ZlEnDVgK2M

Here you can find a list of vendors and more details about the digital signature.

There is also a poll on our forum thread where users debated what code signing to purchase.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”