jmoleary

AI Build fails with missing .MSI but only since version 20.1

I updated my build to AI version 20.1. I can manually build my installer no problem.

But now, when I run my nightly AI build using Azure DevOps and a build agent -- which runs on my machine -- the agent always reports this error:
[ DefaultBuild ]
Creating MSI database (en)
Could not copy template file from 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 20.1\templates\template.msi' to ''. Error: The system cannot find the path specified.
But what is weird, if I then just go to the exact same folder where the agent was running the pipeline (stored on my machine under c:/agent/work/...) and I manually open up the same .AIP file and build, AI builds the installer just fine

Note that under version 20.0 I did not have this issue. AI would build the build with no issues. This only started when I went to 20.1

I should also note that the file it is looking for IS there on disk on my machine. In other words,

'C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 20.1\templates\template.msi'

does exist. However it would appear that AI is trying to copy it *to* an empty directory path
cloudficient

Re: AI Build fails with missing .MSI but only since version 20.1

We are facing a similar issue with an error of "Error opening database file <xxxx>.msi"
This used to work fine before 20.1
(Thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51010)
Liviu

Hello guys,

I've tested this with our latest version 20.1 and everything works as expected:
azure.png
azure.png (288.63 KiB) Viewed 17703 times

Usually, this error may be related with the SetOutputLocation.

Can you please make sure the Output Folder location is empty in your .AIP project --> Builds page?
output location.png
output location.png (57.14 KiB) Viewed 17701 times

Can you please leave that field empty? Do not set Output build location either in the project, or via SetBuildLocation in pipeline.

The setup should be created in the <project name> - SetupFiles.

Then, you can have a copy file so that the build be copied in the desired location.

Let me know if that helped.

Best regards,
Liviu

This did not work for me.
Same error, just a different path now:

Code: Select all

Error opening database file 'E:\_w\o\1\4\s\InstallerBuild\Installer\Installer-SetupFiles\Installer-1.0.8361.21259-develop+develop.202211221152.a7ab53f3.msi'. 
Liviu

Hello,

This is quite strange.

Can you please send us the .AIP (setup project) file and the "raw log" from the failed pipeline job, by email to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further test and investigate this?
raw log.png
raw log.png (87.41 KiB) Viewed 17652 times

Best regards,
Liviu

OP here. Did not realize there had been so much activity on this post. I also tried removing the output path and it similarly had no effect. I will send my own pipeline and log as well
Liviu

Hello guys,

I have replied to you over the email.

Let's continue the conversation there until we have this figured out.

Best regards,
Liviu

I have a similar issue with my Jenkins build, also only with AdvancedInstaller version 20.1.1. To make the issue as small as possible, I created a small test build to create a new package (Test.aip) and build that same package via a freestyle Jenkins project using Windows Batch Command build steps. The project fails with version 20.1.1 and succeeds with version 20.0. Everything works as expected when not running via Jenkins.

Version 20.1.1

Started by user HAL 9000
Running as SYSTEM
Building on the built-in node in workspace C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller

[Test_AdvancedInstaller] $ cmd /c call C:\Users\INNOVA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\jenkins3992705131488658131.bat

C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 20.1.1\bin\x86\AdvancedInstaller.com" /newproject C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller\Test.aip 

C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller>exit 0 

[Test_AdvancedInstaller] $ cmd /c call C:\Users\INNOVA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\jenkins2284295083875589016.bat

C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 20.1.1\bin\x86\AdvancedInstaller.com" /rebuild C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller\Test.aip 

Checking builds status 
Build required. 

[ DefaultBuild ] 
Building package: C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller\Test-SetupFiles\Test.msi 
Prepare build 
Detecting MSI incompatible resources 
Creating MSI database 
Error opening database file 'C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller\Test-SetupFiles\Test.msi'. 

Build finished because an error was encountered.

C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller>exit -536805276 
Build step 'Execute Windows batch command' marked build as failure
Finished: FAILURE
Version 20.0

Started by user HAL 9000
Running as SYSTEM
Building on the built-in node in workspace C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller

[Test_AdvancedInstaller] $ cmd /c call C:\Users\INNOVA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\jenkins8525703057007638259.bat

C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 20.0\bin\x86\AdvancedInstaller.com" /newproject C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller\Test.aip -overwrite  

C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller>exit 0 

[Test_AdvancedInstaller] $ cmd /c call C:\Users\INNOVA~1\AppData\Local\Temp\jenkins4479250133997515541.bat

C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 20.0\bin\x86\AdvancedInstaller.com" /rebuild C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller\Test.aip 

Checking builds status 
Build required. 

[ DefaultBuild ] 
Building package: C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Test_AdvancedInstaller\Test-SetupFiles\Test.msi 
Prepare build 
Creating MSI database 
Writing Summary Information 
Validating MSI 

Total build time: 1 sec.

Build finished successfully.

Finished: SUCCESS

Not to complicate things, but what led me to this was my actual build failing with Advanced Installer version 20.1.1 but for a different reason ("Could not create a temporary file"). Again, this only happens when running via Jenkins with Advanced Installer version 20.1.1. The Jenkins build succeeds with AdvancedInstaller version 20.0.

C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Product>"C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 20.1.1\bin\x86\AdvancedInstaller.com" /rebuild C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Product\Setup.aip 

Checking builds status 
Build required. 

[ DefaultBuild ] 
Building package: C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Product\Setup.exe 
Prepare build 
Preparing files 
Creating CAB file(s) 
Could not create a temporary file 

Build finished because an error was encountered.

C:\Users\InnovationService\AppData\Local\Jenkins\.jenkins\workspace\Product>exit -536805276 
Build step 'Execute Windows batch command' marked build as failure
Finished: FAILURE
Liviu

Hi guys,

We managed to isolate and replicate the issue. Thank you for all of your feedback and help on this.

We will try to implement a fix for this issue and as soon as it will be released we will notify you on this forum thread.

Thank you once again for your help on this.

Best regards,
Liviu

Hello,

This has been fixed in version 20.2 of Advanced Installer, released on 14th of December, 2022.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”