colin.miller

"Abort Installation" causes uninstallation

Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:42 pm

Hello,

My installer runs some .SQL scripts on upgrade installations (aka condition OLDPRODUCTS). I have the script configured to "Abort installation" per the "On error" dropdown choice. The issue is that the "Abort installation" isn't just aborting/canceling the current installation, it ends up uninstalling the existing installation, instead of just rolling back. I searched around for how to configure this to rollback instead of uninstall but I cannot find anything in the UI nor in these forums.

Thanks,
Colin Miller

Eusebiu

Re: "Abort Installation" causes uninstallation

Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:30 am

Hi Colin and welcome to our forums.

I'm afraid that this is the Windows Installer normal behavior. During an upgrade, the uninstall of the old version and the install of the new version are done in two separate sessions, thus if the install session fails, it is rolled back, but it is impossible to rollback the uninstall session, too.

A workaround for this is to use the "Install new version first then uninstall old version" upgrade order available in the "Upgrades" page, but you need to be more careful with this in order to avoid the problems detailed in the "Windows Installer Upgrades" article.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”