bidwars

External Tool Error on Certmgr.exe from windows sdk not found

Thu May 04, 2023 5:14 am

I have a few questions.

1) Does a certificate created from Advanced Installer do anything for someone who is trying to install your program or would I be just fine without one? I am guessing this is called a self signed certificate?

2) When I click the Create button in Digital Signature it gives me a popup error. External tool "certmgr.exe" from Windows SDK not found. This was working on my old computer but will not work on a new computer. I installed the windows sdk 10 but still am getting this error. Where is Advanced installer looking for this program? I also tried to point the External Tools signtool.exe to the folder where the windows sdk is installed and where the certmgr file is located. I can manually start the cermgr.exe. Also I am on windows 11 and using Advanced Installer 20.3.2 and tested the newest Advanced Installer with the same error message. Please Help!

Casey

Catalin

Re: External Tool Error on Certmgr.exe from windows sdk not found

Fri May 05, 2023 4:23 pm

Hello Casey,
1) Does a certificate created from Advanced Installer do anything for someone who is trying to install your program or would I be just fine without one? I am guessing this is called a self signed certificate?
That is simply a test certificate, it is not intended to deliver your MSI setup to your users signed with it.

That being said, you are fine without it.
2) When I click the Create button in Digital Signature it gives me a popup error. External tool "certmgr.exe" from Windows SDK not found. This was working on my old computer but will not work on a new computer. I installed the windows sdk 10 but still am getting this error. Where is Advanced installer looking for this program? I also tried to point the External Tools signtool.exe to the folder where the windows sdk is installed and where the certmgr file is located. I can manually start the cermgr.exe. Also I am on windows 11 and using Advanced Installer 20.3.2 and tested the newest Advanced Installer with the same error message. Please Help!
That's quite strange.

I have tested it just now and it looks like this is the path that it's looking for:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.18362.0\x64
Could you please make sure you have it there?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”