asif0012

Custom action doesn't run before executing a pre-install prerequisite

Mon May 08, 2023 8:30 pm

Hello,
I am using Advanced Installer version 20.4, Enterprise edition. I want to execute a custom action before the installation of a "Pre-install" prerequisite. I have created a "Display Message Box" without sequence type custom action. I have added the custom action to the "Action to be run before this package installation" section of a "pre-install" prerequisite. But the message box custom action doesn't get executed before the installation of the prerequisite.

I have also tried with the "Run Powershell inline script" type custom action but it doesn't work as well.

Screenshot of the "Action to be run before this package installation" in the Pre-Install prerequisite section:
adv_01.png
adv_01.png (16.69KiB)Viewed 9403 times

I am attaching the .aip file but the prerequisites file will be unavailable.
RabbitMQServiceStopBeforePrereq.aip
(25.07KiB)Downloaded 137 times

Why does the custom action not get executed before the installation of a "Pre-Install Prerequisite"?

Best Regards,
Asif

Catalin

Re: Custom action doesn't run before executing a pre-install prerequisite

Wed May 10, 2023 2:42 pm

Hello Asif,

I'm afraid that feature is only available for "feature-based" prerequisites.

I will create a new task so we can update our User Guide - I apologize for the confusion.

If you've got any other questions, please let me know and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

asif0012

Thu Aug 03, 2023 9:22 am

Hello Catalin,
Currently, is it possible to run custom actions before pre-install prerequisites with the newer Advanced Installer versions? If not, will it be possible to have the feature available in future versions?

Best Regards,
Asif

Liviu

Fri Aug 04, 2023 10:45 am

Hello Asif,

With the 20.9 version of Advanced Installer, we introduced a major redesign of the Prerequisite support and the run custom action support should also work for the pre-install prerequisites.

However, after the release, we discovered some issues that were not covered by our testing, leading to unexpected behavior for some use cases. We are actively working on addressing these issues, and the 20.9.1 version with improvements and fixes is on its way and will be released soon.

To minimize the impact on our users, we removed the entry for the 20.9 version from the .ini file to limit notifications about this release. Although the 20.9 version can still be downloaded from our website, the Updater will not prompt existing users to update to this version.

Before testing the new support, I suggest you wait the release of version 20.9.1, which is scheduled soon.

Once you have the chance to test the new prerquisites support, please let me know if you have any problems.

Best regards,
Liviu

Liviu

Tue Aug 08, 2023 3:40 pm

Hello Asif,

Advanced Installer 20.9.1 is now online:

https://www.advancedinstaller.com/download.html

Let us know if you have any issues with the prerequisites.

Best regards,
Liviu

Return to “Common Problems”