Pheine

How does the "Advanced Installer Edit" action read properties?

Tue May 30, 2023 9:23 am

Hi all,
I'm new in this forum. I get some trouble here. I want to view the Version information utilized in the setup project while using the Advanced Installer.

I attempt to utilize the "Advanced Installer Edit" Final Builder action along with the "/GetProperty" command and the "Product Version" command argument.

A DOS Window opens when I perform this step, displaying the Version Number. But how can I put this Value into a variable in the Final Builder? I am unable to see this information in either the action Log output or the output monitor. It's all I can see on the screen.

As workaround I use the Final Builder action "Execute Program" with following settings:
Program file : C:\Programme\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 7.7\bin\x86\AdvancedInstaller.com
Parameters : /edit "%AIP_File%" /GetProperty ProductVersion
I can easily read the Version Info in this action using the Output Monitor!

The drawback to this workaround is that each time the Advanced Installer is updated, I have to modify the application path. Therefore, I have to modify FinalBuilder's option settings as well as (!) those of every project that uses this action.

Is it possible to use a variable in the program file argument of the "execute program" action to access the Advanced Installer Path from the Final Builder Option settings?

best regards

Catalin

Re: How does the "Advanced Installer Edit" action read properties?

Tue May 30, 2023 11:42 am

Hello and welcome to our forums,

Indeed, the workaround to this would be to use the solution you described.
Is it possible to use a variable in the program file argument of the "execute program" action to access the Advanced Installer Path from the Final Builder Option settings?
I'm afraid there is no such variable.

Another workaround would be to use our newest PowerShell support, in which you could retrieve a value of a property and store it in a variable.
Screenshot_28.png
Screenshot_28.png (28.58KiB)Viewed 4023 times

Code: Select all

$ai = new-object -comobject AdvancedInstaller
$proj = $ai.LoadProject("C:\Users\Catalin\Desktop\Your Application.aip")
$prodDetails = $proj.ProductDetails
$version = $prodDetails.Version
$version
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”