rayc

Shortcut problem

I managed to create my first MSI package with a shortcut on the desktop. But the problem I have is this....I need to modify the traget value of my shortcut. I'm trying to install an MS Access application. The target computer may not have MS Access so I need to add the MS Access runtime version. The target has to be something like this:

c:\program files\office\msaccess.exe c:\program files\My Company\MyApp.mdb

I'm using the Search feature to find the path to MS Access. But I'm having a hard time adding that path "before" the application name. Advanced Installer doesn't allow me to change the Shortcut target. It only allows me to append Arguments. Am I missing something?
Mike

Hi,
The solution is the creation of a shortcut to a external shortcut file.
To do that in the "Files and Folders" tab, right-click and choose "New Shortcut To..."->"External File". In the dialog box that appears you need to do 2 things:
- fill in the "Shortcut Target" text field. First clear it's contents. Then click the <...> button next to it, in the next dialog click <Property>, and in the "User Defined" branch it should be the property resulted after your search for msaccess.exe, say PATH_TO_ACCESS. Select it.
- fill in the "Arguments" text field. First clear it's contents. Then click it's <File> button, and select from the installed files the file you require. After
clicking OK the content of the text field should be something like [#MyApp.mdb]. After that put this string between single quotation mark (') e.g. '[#MyApp.mdb]' - that is for the case this parameter will contain spaces. Click OK and you are set.

Hope this will solve your problem.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com

Return to “Common Problems”