mmadden

Registry key/value add problem

I am using the eval version---The problem appeared in both Simple and Pro modes.

I am having a problem adding a registry entry. I wasn't sure where the problem was in my first project so I started a new project, a really basic one, with just one registry entry being created. I used the default location for the registry key creation and it worked fine.

The problem is when I try to add a key or value to an existing Key (Third Party app) location I get the following error (from the Event Log-the displayed error doesn't have the Error #):
Product: Test App -- Error 1406. Could not write value Test123-PID to key \Config. System error . Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact your support personnel.

The key in question is one that I created from another installer in HKLM\Software. I can manually write to that key with regedit.exe and with another installer (WinstallLE). I checked the Permissions on that key --myself and SYSTEM have full rights. I am not sure where else to look. I could not find anything re: Error 1406 in the Forums. This happened in both the Simple and Pro modes. (I have not yet tried this from another machine-this machine is XP SP1)
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Mike

Hi Michael,

Your problem is due probably to the location where you are trying to
add the key. It's very easy to place a key in the wrong branch of the
registry tree.
If, for example, you right-click the "HKLM" branch, choose "Add key"
and select the "HKLM\Software\Config" key, AI will assume that you want
the "Config" key in "HKLM". So it will try to write the values to
"HKLM\Config". That will generate, of course, an error (unless you
checked "Create (if absent) at install" option in the Properties of that
key).
So be very careful about the tree configuration.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
mmadden

Thanks-you put me in the right direction-The problem I had was indeed related to the "Create (if absent) at install" option" actually not being checked. I guess I assumed that if I put the entry in the registries section that it would create it at install time by default.

Return to “Common Problems”