peter.paul

Environment Variable

Hi,

I tried to append the Application Folder to the PATH environment variable. I dunno if it works anyway, but I tried to append the value "[Application Folder]" in the Environment Variable Dialog. After I installed the msi package, the environment variable PATH was removed completely from my system (fortunately I found an old version in the registry under HKLM/SYSTEM/ControlSet00x/Control/SessionManager/Environment).
After I've restored my PATH variable and I deinstalled the msi package, the PATH variable was removed completely again. I would expect that just the appended part is removed.
Apart from this bug: is there a way to add the Application Folder value to the PATH environment variable?
I'm using V1.0.

Cheers

Peter
Cata

"Application Folder" is just a display name, not the programmatic, Windows Installer property. Use TARGETDIR instead.

Give your environment variable this value: "[TARGETDIR]"

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
AC

variables

Is there a place where you list the other variables that are available?

I want to put in a variable that (after install) is the c:\winnt\system32 folder, or whatever it is called. So I guess I'll try [WINDIR]\SYSTEM32 ... but it would be nice if there were a more comprehensive listing in the help system, or perhaps a link to a place online where this is documented at Microsoft or elsewhere.

Re: variables

AC wrote: ... [WINDIR]\SYSTEM32 ...
It looks like that needs to be [%WINDIR]. It'd still be nice to have a listing.

Is the environment variable section of AI for this install, or to set up actual environment variables for the program environment when it is run?
Cata

Hello,

The [...] variables are actually Windows Installer Properties. A complete list and reference is available at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/defau ... erence.asp

The System32 folder path can be obtained from the [SystemFolder] property.

Best regards,
Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”