Mike

Relative Path to Files

Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:01 pm

When I add files to my project, Advanced Installed records the absolute path to the file (e.g. C:\staging\foo.exe). This makes it immposible to move the project around. If I give my project file to someone else, they need to setup their staging/development area extactly the same as mine. For example, they would have to create a directory called C:\staging and place foo.aip in it. Is there a way to use paths relative to the location of the .aip file?

Mike Bresnahan

Cata

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:30 pm

Actually, absolute paths allows you to move the project file around your own hdd, but it doesn't let you move around to other computer.

Relative paths would do just the opposite, letting you move the project to other machines but only in the same relative tree.

We plan to add relative paths support in a future version. It should be implemented as an additional option over absoute paths.

Cata
Catalin Rotaru - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:49 pm

Actually I want to move the content files along with the .aip file. I want to make it easy for someone else to create a .msi file given the .aip file and the file content. I don't want to force them to put the content in a hard coded folder. I would like to allow them to pick a place.

In my senario, the source code for the application and the .aip file will be stored in CVS (a version control system). A developer will check out the whole thing from CVS into an arbitrary directory and execute the makefile. The makefile will produce a .msi file. The current problem is that the source code must be checked out into the directory that the .aip file is expecting the files to be in. This forces every developer to use the same directory.

Mike Bresnahan

Return to “Common Problems”