brian

Virtual Directory [website] on Web Site "Default Web Si

For some reason with build 6.2 of AI I'm now getting this error when installing a web app:

Virtual Directory [website] on Web Site "Default Web Site" already exists on this server. Do you want to skip this virtual directory and continue the installation?

I've verified that the files and virtual directory are not there before installation. This is right in the middle of the installation. I'm installing to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myfolder\ and have named our virtual directory the same as the folder name.

If I click yes, the files are installed, I can set up the application and all is golden. If I click no it rolls back.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks!
Brian
Cosmin

Hi,

Before installing your package please verify that the virtual directory is not already configured (it doesn't matter if the resources are present or not). For this you can use the IIS Snap-in from the Microsoft Management Console.

Note that in order to void this message you need to make sure that the virtual directory you are installing is not already configured in IIS.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
brian

Yes, I've verified that the files, folder, and virtual directory are not there before installation. Could it maybe exist in a cache that IIS keeps around somewhere?
Cosmin

Hi,

In my post I wasn't referring to any file or folder, I was referring to the configuration of the IIS on the target machine. Have you used the IIS Snap-in from the Microsoft Management Console to check if the virtual directory is already configured?

Regards,
Cosmin
brian

Yes, I used IIS to make sure that there are no files, virtual directory, or folders present prior to installation.

If I click yes on the error message, the files are installed and I can start IIS, right click on the folder, properties, then create the application, and it does work.

I'm installing the files to c:\inetpub\wwwroot\myfolder\
Cosmin

Hi,

Here is what we think happens:
- the virtual directory is configured in the IIS, but it has no files on the disk
- when you try to install it, it is seen by Windows Installer and you receive the message
- when you click ok, the virtual directory is not configured (it is skipped) and its files are installed
- when you run your application the virtual directory is already configured and now it has its files, therefore there is no problem

I'm not sure why you think that I'm referring to files or folders because I am referring to the configuration of the virtual directory. Note that a virtual directory can be configured in the IIS and not have any resources on the disk.

Please try this on another machine on which you never installed the virtual directory and let me know if the problem persists.

Regards,
Cosmin
brian

Thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately there is not a virtual directory prior to installation, at your step 1. I've been using IIS for years and have confirmed many times that there is no virtual directory. This is why I asked if someone knows if there's some sort of IIS cache that is confusing AI.

I'll verify with our QA if they've tried other machines.
ovdrhoer

Re: Virtual Directory [website] on Web Site "Default Web Si

I have the same problem when installing on Vista. With XP everything works fine.
Now I don't know what the problem is. Whatever I try in IIS 7 to delete the virtual directory, the setup keeps telling me it already exists. When I do everything the same in IIS6 it works fine.

Do you have a solution?
Cosmin

Re: Virtual Directory [website] on Web Site "Default Web Si

Hi,

Please note that from the Advanced Installer point of view there is no difference between IIS6 and IIS7. Therefore, if the package works with IIS6 it also works with IIS7. Note that before installing the virtual directory you need to make sure that it is not configured in IIS (it doesn't matter if it doesn't exist on the disk, it must not be configured in IIS).

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”