fd1

service could not be installed

Hi,
I'm trying to install a service and set it to run under a user account.
I specified the username and password in service properties of Advanced Installer, but I keep getting "Service could not be installed. Verify that you have sufficient privlileges to install system services" during the msi installation. I am running as Admin on the box.
The service installs fine during installation when I don't specify username/password.
Am I using this feature incorrectly?
ciprian

Hi,

The reason for that error might reside in the way the "User Name" (Service Properties page) is specified.

In that field you must specify the computer name too. The entry should look something like this:

ComputerName\UserName

Also, instead of "ComputerName" you can use the dot character (.) which means local computer.

Please let me know if you have further problems.

Regards,
Ciprian
Ciprian Burca
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
fd1

I tried it with computername\username and .\username but still getting the same message. The service installs fine if I don't use any username/password but will not install when I add the username.
fd1

Never mind, works fine now. I wasn't using the username and password as references to Properties, I had them hardcoded in the service properties. Thanks ciprian.
AbeL

Hi,

I'm sorry to "reanimate" this one, but I can't get that to work...
I set the properties "UserName" and "Password" in the Install Parameters and in the Service Properties I set a property reference. The two fields for Username and Password read .\[UserName] and [Password], but still it does not work.
Any ideas what I am missing?

Thanks in advance
Kai
Mike

Hi,

Your settings should be working. The only possible problem could be that the Admin account doesn't have the proper privileges in the local security policy. It should have the permission to start a service. For this you should add the Admin account to the "Log on as a service" policy.

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com

Return to “Common Problems”