spyromus

Running a Java application from the last installer page

Hi,

My problem is that I have several command-line arguments to be passed to application in order to start it correctly. I can specify them when defining the shortcuts for Start menu and Desktop, but there seems to be no way to define them for the last step of installation wizard (only application to start selection is available). How could you suggest to overcome this problem?

Also the second question arises, what about Mac OS X bundles? Where should I specify command-line arguments for this OS?

Thanks in advance!
Aleksey
Mike

Hi,

There is no way to launch a shortcut in the last dialog.

However, this is not the best way to pass some values to your application. The recommended way would be through some system properties. You can define those in the Edit JVM Parameters dialog. This design solves the problem both for Windows and Mac OS X. This way you can also launch the application in the last page of the wizard.

This design is preferable since the values that you want to transmit are always constant. This issue has also been discussed on the forum; please visit:

http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... .php?t=691

If you want to use the current design you can edit the PLIST file in the Mac OS X bundle. Add a section named Arguments and enter the desired value.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Mihai
Mihai Bobaru
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com
spyromus

Thanks Mike!

Right after posting the original issue, I realized that it could be a possible solution -- to move the command-line arguments to the system properties. The existing design worked fine for years, though. :)

Well, I spend some time to rework the application to look for system properties in addition to parsing the command-line parameters and everything works good so far.

Thanks for the prompt response!

Aleksey

P.S. We love the product! Keep up your great job!

Return to “Common Problems”