mrichter

failed to get the module path

Hi,

I am having a problem with a java application built with AI 6.7.1. When I install the compiled package and run the executable I get a "failed to get the module path" error. If I replace the exe built by AI 6.7.1 with one built with a previous version (not sure which one) it works fine. Do I need to change a setting in 6.7.1 or is there something else I have missed?

Thanks in adavance

Mark
Attachments
Error Screenshot
Error Screenshot
ai_error.gif (4.46 KiB) Viewed 13976 times
Cosmin

Re: failed to get the module path

Hi,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Can you please send us the AIP (project) file you are using to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? Also, please attach the installation package which shows the problem. If the package is larger than 10 MB, please provide an URL from where we can download it.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Cosmin

Hi Mark,

After investigating the files you provided we found that the problem is caused by a bug in Advanced Installer. This bug will be fixed in the next version ( 6.8 ). Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
Until then, the workaround is to use only hard-coded values in the "Product Name" of the package (formatted or pseudo-formatted values make the launcher show the error).

Regards,
Cosmin
dheinst

Hi Cosmin,

We have several clients reporting the same error message (we also install a java product). Unfortunately, we can't seem to reproduce this problem 100%. It sometimes fails on Vista, it sometimes fails on xp, but in most cases everything seems to work fine. By the way, our product name value is just static text, not formatted in any way.

Do you have an estimate on the release with the bugfix you mentioned below? Or maybe a patch for the meantime? It would be good to test this solution on the pc's with the errors.

Regards,
David
Cosmin

Hi David,

The problem is caused by the Java Launcher, so perhaps there is another formatted value which causes the problem. If you manage to reproduce this behavior by following specific steps, please send us the AIP with the problem to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.
Do you have an estimate on the release with the bugfix you mentioned below?
The 6.8 version of Advanced Installer should be released before the end of this month.

Regards,
Cosmin
SteveDT123

I am hitting the same problem, but I don't understand the workaround you mentioned. I don't believe that I am using any formatted names. Can you please give us more information regarding how to work around this problem?
Cosmin

Hi,

You can read more about formatted values in the Formatted Type article from the User Guide. The problem explained in this thread may be caused by a formatted value in the "Product Name" field from the "Product Details" page. If in your project this field contains only hard-coded values, please send us the AIP file to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Regards,
Cosmin
mrichter

Hi cosmin,

I originally reported this problem and since then I implemented your workaround and released my application. The majority of my users are working fine however there is small minority still getting this error. Can you please supply some more details as to the cause of this useless error message?

Thanks

Mark

PS: As a side issue the error messages reported by the Java launcher are very brief and have little meaning. I think you should consider improving these to give more information. This in turn may reduce your own support efforts since people maybe able to solve their issues without contacting you.
Cosmin

Hi Mark,
Can you please supply some more details as to the cause of this useless error message?
This error message may be shown if the Java Product is used incorrectly (it is not used for what it was designed). For example, the error may be shown if the Java Product is configured as a service, but it is not installed as a service. Another cause may be a conflict with another Java Product or with an older version of the package.
As a side issue the error messages reported by the Java launcher are very brief and have little meaning. I think you should consider improving these to give more information.
We will consider adding this improvement in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for your suggestion.

Regards,
Cosmin
mrichter

Thanks cosmin, but I was hoping for a more technical explanation such that I can try to replicate this problem. eg: the path jvm.dll could not be found or perhaps an entry point is missing. From your description though it appears that this is some sort of catch all error.

I have recently released a new version of my application built with AI 671 and to date I have had approx 120 downloads. Of them I have had 3 reports of this error message. 2 of the reports are not responding to my emails and are therefore lost sales. The third is working with me to resolve the issue. I must stress that this is the exact same install package used by all 120 people so I seriously doubt that it is caused by the description you supplied. The only strange thing about this third user is that they are running a Vista Dell PC using an oem Java VM. The version report on the VM is

Code: Select all

java version "1.6.0-oem"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-oem-b104)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-oem-b104, mixed mode, sharing)
I am wondering if this might be an incompatibility between AI 671 and this Dell oem VM. I am unable to locate a download of this VM so I cannot try the combination. The previous version of my application works fine on this users desktop. I would be grateful for any other information you can provide that might help me resolve this issue.

-Mark
Cosmin

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure why the Java product shows this behavior. It should work on the Java Virtual Machine you mentioned, so there shouldn't be a problem. Can you please send us the AIP you are using to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? Also, please provide an URL from where we can download the package.

Did the user upgrade an older version of the application? If so, he can try to repair the installation to see if this fixes the problem.

Regards,
Cosmin
mrichter

Thanks cosmin, I have sent you an email with the details you requested.

This user did upgrade from a previous version however it appears that the install package does not work for them. They uninstalled this version and reverted back to the old version and it works fine. I then asked them to try the upgrade again and they get this error when they do that. Once again reverting back to the previous version works. I am quite satisfied that something within their environment is not compatible with AI 671. If you are sure it's not this VM then I will not bother asking them to upgrade it to the latest 6_u11. I would be grateful for any other suggestions.

-Mark
paul_c

Hello,

I have the same problem it seems. Were evaluating versions 6.6? , 6.7.1, and now 6.8 to migrate our Java app installation to Advanced Installer from InstallAnywhere. Pretty much completed the entire installation, but after upgrading to version 6.7.1 (and now 6.8 ) - started getting issues with Vista:

1. for 2 empty folders under APPDIR : "Everyone" GENERIC_ALL permission did not propagate to those 2 folders, it did for the rest of the non-empty ones (this worked file in version before 6.7.1 and it does not work in 6.8 - just tried). The workaround here is to grant permission to "Everyone" - directly on the empty folders - and that works.

2. this one is a show stopper - after installation on Vista, Java application launches fine under the user that performed the installation, however then I switch user to "Guest" user on Vista - application does not launch and I get the same error as above after the splash screen - "failed to get the module path". This happens in 6.8 - so not sure what to do. (Note: if I just run the Java app directly from the installation folder using a batch file and a java -classpath.... launch (under Guest user) - application launches and works fine. Something much be wrong with the Java launcher). What can be possibly done to get the launcher to work?

Sincerely,
Paul
mrichter

Hi Paul,

I think this error message is a bit of a catch all so when the launcher fails this is what you get. I am getting this problem with only some of my Vista installs and I do not have any folders installed into APPDIR. I think my problem is also permissions related but I just havn't been able to recreate it in order to pin it down.

This one is certainly a show stopper. I am think I have no choice but to rollback to 6.6 and look for another installer. EclipseNSIS http://nsis.sourceforge.net/EclipseNSIS ... or_Eclipse with JSmooth http://jsmooth.sourceforge.net/ is looking like a good combination to me (and free).

-Mark
Cosmin

Hi,
for 2 empty folders under APPDIR : "Everyone" GENERIC_ALL permission did not propagate to those 2 folders, it did for the rest of the non-empty ones (this worked file in version before 6.7.1 and it does not work in 6.8 - just tried). The workaround here is to grant permission to "Everyone" - directly on the empty folders - and that works.
Unfortunately the permission inheritance is handled automatically by Windows Installer. By default, Windows Installer tries to set the permissions of the parent folder on its subfolders. However, if it can't (something in Windows is preventing it), then the permissions will not be set for the sub-folders.
after installation on Vista, Java application launches fine under the user that performed the installation, however then I switch user to "Guest" user on Vista - application does not launch and I get the same error as above after the splash screen - "failed to get the module path". This happens in 6.8 - so not sure what to do.
This behavior may be caused by a bug in Advanced Installer. I attached to this post an archive which contains a modified version of the Java Launcher. Please extract it in your Advanced Installer installation folder, overwriting the original files. This should include the fix in your copy of Advanced Installer.
I think this error message is a bit of a catch all so when the launcher fails this is what you get.
This error message was caused by some problems with the Java Launcher. Although it may appear in weird situations, this error is not a "catch all errors" message. It is mainly used to identify a set of problems with the Java Launcher.

Regards,
Cosmin
Attachments
stubs.zip
(287.04 KiB) Downloaded 395 times

Return to “Common Problems”