Uria

Export/Import From the Dialog Repository

Hi,

In the Dialog Repository help page it says:
  • Export a dialog from the project to the repository.
  • Import a dialog from the repository to the project.
I could export a dialog to the repository, but could not figure out how to import it back into the project.
I would also like to remove it from the repository.

Thanks!
Cosmin

Re: Export/Import From the Dialog Repository

Hi,
I could export a dialog to the repository, but could not figure out how to import it back into the project.
To add a dialog from the repository you can use the Add Dialog... toolbar button or context menu in the "Dialogs" page (you can use the "Repository" tab). Please note that this can be done only in an Enterprise project.
I would also like to remove it from the repository.
For this you can manually delete the folder of the dialog in the repository folder. You can find the repository path in the Dialogs Repository tab of the "Global Properties" page.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Uria

Consider this scenario:

1. Create a new dialog named 'NewDialog'.
2. Add the new dialog to the repository.
3. Delete the dialog. A folder with the same name remains in the repository path.

Now I want to import the dialog into the project (embedded, not linked to the repository copy).
I need to be able to build the MSI on another machine from the command line where there's no dialog repository.

4. Add the 'NewDialog' from the repository using the "Add Dialog..." button.
5. Save and close the project.

At this point, if I delete the 'NewDialog' folder from the repository manually, I get a 'file not found' error.
Uria

At this point, if I delete the 'NewDialog' folder from the repository manually, I get a 'file not found' error.
(I get this error when trying to open the project)
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm afraid this is the normal behavior. If a project uses a dialog from the repository, the dialogs needs to be present in the repository, otherwise the project cannot be opened. If you need to open or build the project on a machine on which the dialog repository doesn't exist, the project should not use repository dialogs.

For your project you can try removing the repository dialog and creating a new dialog inside the project which does what you need. Another solution is to copy the repository folder on the machine on which you need to build or open the project.

Regards,
Cosmin
Uria

Hi Cosmin,

Is there a way to perhaps merge the dialog data into the project?

Uria
Cosmin

Hi,

Currently this is not supported by Advanced Installer. However, we have this improvement on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version. Until then, you can try this approach:
- add the dialog from the repository
- create a new dialog
- copy the controls from the repository dialog to the new dialog
- make sure all the controls use correct properties (they are renamed automatically by the copy operation)
- remove the repository dialog

Regards,
Cosmin
elou

Hello,
is it possible with with AI 14.2 to automatically import a dialog from the repository to a project?
And how could it be done?
Regards, Éric.
Eusebiu

Hello Éric,

Yes, you can either reference a dialog from the repository in your project or import it and its resources to the project. Both cases are possible with the 14.2 AI version.

In order to achieve this you can go to the "Dialogs" page, select a dialog and use the "Add Dialog" option from the toolbar. A screen will pop up asking you from where you want to add the dialog ( Buit-In / Project / Repository ). When you chose your dialog from the "Repository" tab you also have the options to use it from the repository or include it in the project permanently.

Best regards,
Eusebiu
Eusebiu Aria - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”