PLT

Invalid keyword-value pairs

Hello.

I am trying to pass on a system DSN in the MSI file and continually get the following error message when installing on the user's PC.

"Error configuring ODBC data source: CODA (this is the name of the DSN), ODBC error 8:
Invalid keyword-value pairs. Verify that the file CODA exists and that you can access it."

The database is SQL Server 2000, is on the network and can be seen by the PC(s) I am installing to.

The keyword-value pairs for the system DSN in the registry (of the development PC) are as follows:

(Default) : (value not set)
Description : CODA Database
Driver : C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Sqlsrv32.dll
LastUser : CODADBA (this is the ID of the database)
Server : LWF03 (this is the name of the database)

What do I need to do to pass on the correct keyword-value pairs to the MSI file? I have tried to change the above entries around but always get the same error message on install.

Thanks in advance for some clarity in this matter.

Peter Tyler
Geneva - Switzerland
Ionut

Re: Invalid keyword-value pairs

Hi Peter,

You are receiving the error message because you have not configured the Data Source attributes correctly. Try to delete the "LastUser" and "Driver" attributes from the list control and let me know if the problem persists.

The "Driver" attribute must not be specified because it is determined from the "Driver Name" specification at install time. Adding it would cause the installation to fail.

The "LastUser" attribute must not be specified since it represents authentication information (similar to UID, PWD and WSID attributes). For SQL Server, specifying any of the attributes related to authentication will cause the installation to fail.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
PLT

Thanks, Ionut, for your prompt response. Yes, it now seems to work well and the DNS is created without error.

>>you have not configured the Data Source attributes correctly>>

I was actually following the Advanced Installer User Guide (Data Source Properties) which requests me to copy over the SQL connection attributes from the Registry.

Maybe a help file update could be planned?

Thanks again!

Peter Tyler

>>You are receiving the error message because you have not configured the Data Source attributes correctly. Try to delete the "LastUser" and "Driver" attributes from the list control and let me know if the problem persists.

The "Driver" attribute must not be specified because it is determined from the "Driver Name" specification at install time. Adding it would cause the installation to fail.

The "LastUser" attribute must not be specified since it represents authentication information (similar to UID, PWD and WSID attributes). For SQL Server, specifying any of the attributes related to authentication will cause the installation to fail.>>
Cosmin

Hi Peter,
Maybe a help file update could be planned?
Yes, the User Guide will be updated in the next version. Thank you for your suggestion.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”