swright

Windows Mobile CAB Installer

I am a new user and am using the evaluation version. We are very close to buying the Enterprise version. I am trying to create a mobile install that has to install not only our CAB file but other CAB files needed for our app to run. I used your demo install for CABs and need to know if I am on the right path or not. In the "Files and Folders" section I have all 5 CAB files that need to be installed. In the "Install Parameters" section I created 5 properties that have their values set to the CAB file name. I then modified the "setup.ini" by adding the new install parameter properties to the values. When the device manager runs it only installs 1 of the CAB files. Please advice since I believe I am lost.

I tried to attach screenshots of what I have done but your site won't allow me to.
Cosmin

Re: Windows Mobile CAB Installer

Hi,
In the "Install Parameters" section I created 5 properties that have their values set to the CAB file name. I then modified the "setup.ini" by adding the new install parameter properties to the values.
Please note that you can use the INI and installer properties from the sample project. Also, you don't need to create properties for each CAB, you can use the same property for all CABs. After adding the CABs in the "Files and Folders" page you can modify the CAB_FILE property to include all of them. For example, the value of this property can be:

Code: Select all

c1.cab,c2.cab,c3.cab,c4.cab,c1.cab
I tried to attach screenshots of what I have done but your site won't allow me to.
Unfortunately only ZIP archives can be attached. However, for future posts you can place the screen-shots on an a free image hosting server and then use the "Img" tag and their URLs to show them in your post.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
swright

I apologize for doing this but I have added my screenshots that I hope will help you to give me the guidance I need. If I can get the device apps to install our owner will be buying your product.

So here is what I have done...

Pic1:

Pic2:

Pic3:

Pic4:

Pic5 (this is the 1st error I get when running the install):

Pic6:
Ionut

Hi,

The string for the "CabFiles" INI key should contain no unnecessary spaces. Additionally, you should rename the CAB file for your application "ScanInOut Setup.CAB" such that it also does not contain any spaces in its name (for instance, "ScanInOut_Setup.CAB"). Therefore, the CAB_FILE Property value should be set to:

NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab,sqlce30.dev.ENU.wce5.armv4i.CAB,sqlce30.ppc.wce5.armv4i.CAB,System_SR_ENU_wm.cab,ScanInOut_Setup.CAB
The CAB files will be listed in the order in which they should be installed.

If you do not want to rename the "ScanInOut Setup.CAB" file, the following might also work (I am not sure it will though):

NETCFv2.wm.armv4i.cab,sqlce30.dev.ENU.wce5.armv4i.CAB,sqlce30.ppc.wce5.armv4i.CAB,System_SR_ENU_wm.cab,"ScanInOut Setup.CAB"
In order to temporarily enable simple error reporting for the CE Application Manager, you can specify the /REPORT command-line switch in the "Full Path" field for testing purposes:

"[CEAPPMGR]" "[APPDIR]setup.ini" /REPORT
Please let me know if this fixes the problem.

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
swright

Removing the spaces helped get rid of the error message. Thanks! Still for some reason the application manager only shows the NETCFv2 to install. I confirmed that all of the CAB files are supported on my device. My value string now looks like this:

NETCFv2.ppc.armv4.cab,sqlce30.dev.ENU.ppc.wce4.armv4.CAB,sqlce30.ppc.wce4.armv4.CAB,System_SR_ENU.CAB,ScanInOut_Setup.CAB

Any thoughts?
Cosmin

Hi,

In a situation where the .INI file lists multiple CABs, to ensure that the correct CAB is installed on the device, the list must follow a specific order. This list must begin with the CAB file that is targeted at the widest range of platform types and versions and end with the CAB file for the most specific platform types and versions. The list must also use an order that begins with the newest version and ends with the earliest version. Finally, if platform string and version information are specified, information about the OS version is ignored.

If your list is configured this way and the problem persists, please send us the .AIP (project) file you are using to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Ionut

Hi,

Indeed, when there are several different CAB files (as opposed to the same CAB file but with different target platform settings), it is required to create separate .INI files for each and launch "CeAppMgr" with each .INI file as the argument.

Starting with ActiveSync 4.5, "CEAppMgr" also supports the "/register" parameter which allows registering an application without immediately installing it on the device.

I have attached below 2 sample projects that install the SQL Server CE 3.5 components through ActiveSync. The CAB packages from the "wce400" folder (intended for WinCE 4.2x and PocketPC 2003) are used:

sqlce.dev.ENU.ppc.wce4.armv4.CAB
sqlce.ppc.wce4.armv4.CAB
sqlce.repl.ppc.wce4.armv4.CAB
These CAB packages should be placed in the same folder as the extracted AIP files in order to build the projects. The difference between the sample projects is that "SqlCE-Installer2.aip" uses the "/register" argument described above.

Hops this helps.

Regards,
Ionut
Attachments
SqlCE-Installer-Sample.zip
(5.28 KiB) Downloaded 703 times
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team
Ionut

Hi,

Starting with version 7.2, Advanced Installer contains a dedicated view which greatly simplifies registering your mobile applications with the Windows CE Application Manager. For more details about this, please see the ActiveSync page help topic.

Regards,
Ionut
Denis Toma
Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Common Problems”