anuff

PIDKEY in MST file

Hi,

We've bundled our product with Advanced Installer, and all is OK running interactively, as well as via msiexec passing appropriate values for a silen install (msiexe.exe /i msifile.mis /qn PIDKEY="98X-5020-43F") We would like to be able have our customers install this package via Active Directory (or any other method) and use a transform file. Our customers have access to ORCA or INSTED, but how do I tell them to add the PIDKEY to the mst file. I've tried creating a transform to add PIDKEY as a property, but the value doesn't get passed in. Any ideas?

Thanks!
GabrielBarbu

Re: PIDKEY in MST file

Hello,

I am not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Attached is a sample project that contains the .aip, the MSI, the transform to add PIDKEY property, and the transformed MSI. As you will be able to see by running the transformed MSI, the PIDKEY is passed correctly.
If you are still encountering problems, please let us know.

Regards,
Gabriel
Attachments
TransformTest.zip
(181.56 KiB) Downloaded 494 times
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
anuff

Pretty odd actually. After looking at your sample transform and package, I am able to create a package that will pass PIDKEY. However there's still a bit of a quirk. If I modify the package using instedit and add a property for PIDKEY, then run:

msiexec.exe /i package.msi /qn

the package will then successfully install. If I create a transform, save it as an mst file, then go ahead and run:

msiexec.exe /i package.msi /qn /t transform.mst

The package fails to install. Changing from the /qn to the /qb switch I see that the installer fails with "Invalid Serial Number". If I take the same mst file I just created and create a "transformed" msi and try to install it with:

msiexec.exe /i package.msi /qn

then the package installs successfully. Am I missing something? Isn't using the /t on the msiexec command line supposed to be functionally the same as creating a transformed package?
GabrielBarbu

Hello,

The correct syntax to apply a transform through the command line is:

Code: Select all

msiexec.exe /i package.msi TRANSFORMS=transform.mst
As microsoft states, the /t switch is used to apply a transform list to an advertised package. More information about this can be found here.

Regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
anuff

Gabriel,

Thanks for the reference, it's very helpful. I will test out the TRANSFORMS= option and let you know how it works out, but I have confidence that it will work out as you said.
anuff

Gabriel,

Happiness has been achieved! Its working as you described. The transforms= is the correct parameter to apply on the msiexec command line.

Return to “Common Problems”