richard

Hide specific First Time Install dialogs on update

Hello. I am creating an update that changes product code, e.g. a new msi. When the user checks for updates and downloads, it takes user through all the dialogs of First Time Install. I'd like to bypass some of those dialogs, such as shortcuts & license, during update. How would I do this? Thank you!
GabrielBarbu

Re: Hide specific First Time Install dialogs on update

Hi Richard,

Our tutorial on how to conditionally display an install dialog describes how to achieve this. Instead of the conditions listed in that guide, you can place a condition that makes use of the OLDPRODUCTS property.

OLDPRODUCTS is null if older versions of your product have not already been installed on the machine, thus your dialogs will either be displayed or not depending on the conditions you use.

Regards,
Gabriel
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
adi2007jain

Can you please tell the exact condition to be put in expression field? OLDPRODUCTS = null doesn't seem to be working for me.
Catalin

Hello,

The condition should look something as it follows:

Code: Select all

OLDPRODUCTS
The above can be translated as:

- OLDPRODUCTS property exists.

An installer property can have two states:

- has a value, therefore it exists

- has no value (null), therefore it does not exist

At install time, the installer will check the OLDPRODUCTS property (usually, this property is populated with the ProductCode of the older version that is installed on the respective machine) and:

- if the OLDPRODUCTS property is populated ==> it exists ==> the condition is evaluated as true ==> the dialog will not be spawned

- if the OLDPRODUCTS property is not populated (is empty/null) ==> it does not exist ==> the condition is evaluated as false ==> the dialog will be spawned

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”