amf

Inconsistent Line Endings and XML Editor

Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:32 pm

I have an install package that uses the XML Editor to generate configuration files. After install, when I go to open those configuration files, I'm getting the following message from Visual Studio:

The line endings in the following file are not consistent. Do you want to normalize the line endings?

It them gives a choice of Windows (CR LF) line ending and if I click Yes it opens fine.

The file used with the XML editor started out as an imported .config file and I've done some tweaks and such along the way in the editor, but I don't see any way to control what line endings it's using for new XML nodes that I might have added to the file.

How do I get past this?

GabrielBarbu

Re: Inconsistent Line Endings and XML Editor

Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:54 am

Hello,

I assume your original .config file had only LF line endings? In order to check the line endings, you can download the latest version of Notepad++ and use it to open your file. Make sure "Show all characters" (marked with red in the attachment below) is enabled.

Please check the line endings of your original file and the line endings of the file that ends up installed on the system. You should also send us your .aip project (with your xml file added and updated with your edits), the original xml file, and the one that ends up installed on the system to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can further investigate this issue.

Regards,
Gabriel
Attachments
untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (46.26KiB)Viewed 3463 times
Gabriel Barbu
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/

amf

Re: Inconsistent Line Endings and XML Editor

Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Found it. Was buried in an XML comment that was added to the original web.config by ASP.Net AJAX 1.0. Thanks!

Return to “Common Problems”