bryanforst

Possible to create Installer only for PreReqs?

I am using AI to install our msi product, works great.
I would like to create an installer that can run ahead of our product install and make sure each machine has the necessary prereqs.
We just need dotNet 4.7, the C++ redistributables and one other app.

I have tried creating a minimal installer that will put in just a few harmless files but the build process never completes.
Is there a way to create an empty installer or should I just deploy a dummy app to keep AI happy?

We are using the Enterprise version of AI.

Thanks,
Bryan Forst
Catalin

Re: Possible to create Installer only for PreReqs?

Hello Bryan,
I am using AI to install our msi product, works great.
I am glad this works great for you.
:)
Is there a way to create an empty installer or should I just deploy a dummy app to keep AI happy?
Yes, you should be able to create an empty project. There shouldn't be any problems with this.
I have tried creating a minimal installer that will put in just a few harmless files but the build process never completes.
This is really strange. Could you please forward me a copy of this project and the files that it needs by e-mail at support at advancedinstaller dot com so I can further investigate this?

Also, could you please what version of Advanced Installer are you using? Are you using the latest 15.9 version or is it a previous version?

Long story short, the answer is yes, you should be able to create an installer only for prerequisites. Actually, there are some times when this approach is required (to create a dummy installed which installs the prerequisite(s)).

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”