dybalabj

AI 19.6 - How to create a Solution for multiple Projects?

Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:47 am

I see in the recent 19.6 release that you can now create a solution to link multiple projects together. However, I don't see where I can do this? The only information I've seen in the Help documentation is details about the Edit Solution Options dialog, but no information on where to find it.

I'm running AI Professional. Is this something that's only available in the Enterprise version? I assume this is something different from the Sharepoint Solution? I have an application with 3 separate project files - a "full" installer that bundles several prerequisites, a "web" installer that downloads these prerequisites as needed, and an Updater project. I'd like to create a Solution to link these 3 projects together if possible.

Catalin

Re: AI 19.6 - How to create a Solution for multiple Projects?

Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:41 pm

Hello,

In order to add multiple projects to your solution, you can proceed as it follows:

- open the project you want to be your "main" project

- click on the "File" menu (from the ribbon)

- "Add" --> "Existing Project"

You can then edit your projects by going to the "Solution" tab (on the ribbon) and then selecting your project.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

dybalabj

Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:16 pm

Thanks, I didn't see anything in the help documentation about this.

I tried adding a 2nd project, but got a "Duplicate project ID not allowed" error. The 2nd project was made as a copy of the first one with different prerequisites (one of them embeds all the prerequisites in the installer for offline use, the other marks them as web-based prerequisites to download as needed). Is there a way I can change the Project ID of one of the projects without needing to recreate the entire project? Or do I just generate a new GUID and manually replace it in the project file?

Catalin

Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:11 pm

You are always welcome!

Please note it is not recommended to create a new project from the existing one by copying it.

This is because the components from your project will have the same GUID and if installed on the same machine, will result in shared components.

Instead, please use the "Save as Template" option as explained in the following article:

Using the "Save as template" option

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”