mcseforsale

Customer asked to install files in roaming profile path

Fri Aug 12, 2022 3:31 pm

Our customer wants to drop files in the users' roaming profile appdata location. Where in Advanced Installer folder paths is: C:\Users{UserName}\AppData\Roaming?

Thanks!
AJ

Liviu

Re: Customer asked to install files in roaming profile path

Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:32 am

Hello AJ,

In order to achieve this, you can add your files under the "User Profile" --> "Application Data" folder in the "Files and Folders" page.

For more details about the folder paths, you can check our Paths of the folders in the "Files and Folders" Page article.

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us.

Best regards,
Liviu

runbikelive

Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:53 am

Thank you for the suggestion Liviu.

I would like to provide the option for the installation to be installed per-user or per-machine.

For the per-machine administrator installations, I prefer using the program files location.

For the per-user installation local profile path rather than the roaming profile path is used. Is there a way this can be adjusted to the roaming profile path?

Catalin

Tue Nov 29, 2022 9:14 am

Hello and welcome to our forums,

If you have the "per-machine if user is administrator, per-user otherwise" installation type, then please note the path of the APPDIR ("Files and Folders" page --> "Application Folder") is configured automatically at install time, based on the user's choice in the "InstallTypeDlg" dialog.

The per-user location we are using (which is recommended) is %appdata% which resolves automatically to: C:\Users\Catalin\AppData\Roaming.

If you would like to add your files in the AppData\Local folder, you could try using the "Local Application Data" folder from the "Files and Folders" page.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

runbikelive

Sun Dec 04, 2022 4:55 pm

Thank you for your reply Catalin. Unfortunately, my installation is acting differently than expected.

I would expect my per-user installation to install to the "roaming" folder location. For some reason it is installing to the "local" folder location.

When I check my system path for %appdata%, it properly resolves to the roaming location. During the installation, I am shown the local path as follow:
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Programs\CAS\Updater Testing

I am running the trial version of AI v20.1.1.

Is there something else I may be overlooking?

Catalin

Tue Dec 06, 2022 3:06 pm

Hello,

It looks like I misunderstood your requirement, please accept my apologies for that.
The per-user location we are using (which is recommended) is %appdata% which resolves automatically to: C:\Users\Catalin\AppData\Roaming.
Also please ignore my last reply as I was wrong. Indeed, as you mentioned, for the per-user option, the path is resolved to the Local/Programs folder.

In order to achieve what you want, you can proceed as it follows:

- on the "Next" button of the "InstallTypeDlg" dialog, you can create a "Published Event" as it folllows:
Screenshot_29.png
Screenshot_29.png (100.93KiB)Viewed 6832 times

This way, we will automatically set the path to %appdata% if the user selects the "per-user" option.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Catalin

runbikelive

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:10 pm

Thank you Catalin, your response was most helpful.

For others looking for the same solution, I slightly adjusted the argument as follows:
[AppDataFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]\

This will maintain consistency using the manufacturer and product name. Optionally, some may wish to include "[Programs]\", before the manufacturer, to remain consistent with how some other applications install.

Thank you again!
Tom

Catalin

Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:22 pm

You are always welcome, Tom!

Glad I could help!

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”