Jayamal

Licensing Advanced Installer in Github runner

Hello,
We are using GitHub Actions to build several applications using Advanced Installer. We have an Enterprise licence with 01 Number of Seats for the GitHub runner, and I need some valuable feedback from you all.

We are using ANT build, and it's a bit complicated build process. Therefore I have defined GitHub action to Build with Ant. When the action is triggered, it will install the Advanced installer using the choco install advanced-installer command. And it works, and I get a brand new 30-day trial each time. This action can be triggered multiple times per day.

Since we need to distribute our applications now, we need to use the licence that I mentioned above. My concern is if I register the Advanced Installer using the command line, will it be a problem since the action can trigger several times per day? GitHub action will create a fresh Windows runner for each run. That means it will install Advanced Installer each time and register it using the command line.

Appreciate your suggestions and I'm attaching the GitHub workflow for your reference,

Code: Select all

# This workflow will build a Java project with Ant
# For more information see: https://docs.github.com/en/actions/automating-builds-and-tests/building-and-testing-java-with-ant

name: Java CI

on:
  push:
    branches: [ "master" ]
  pull_request:
    branches: [ "master" ]

jobs:
  build:

runs-on: windows-2019

steps:
    - uses: actions/checkout@v3
    - name: Set up JDK 11
      uses: actions/setup-java@v3
      with:
        java-version: '11'
        distribution: 'temurin'

- name: Install advanced-installer
      run: |
        choco install advanced-installer

- name: Register advanced-installer
      run: |
        "C:\Program Files (x86)\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 20.1.1\bin\x86\AdvancedInstaller.com" /register <my_license_key>

- name: Build with Ant
      run: ant -noinput -buildfile build.xml

Catalin

Re: Licensing Advanced Installer in Github runner

Hello and welcome to our forums,

I don't think there should be any issues with that.

Advanced Installer is licensed per-developer and that developer can install it on up to 5 machines. In your case, you register it once, then it basically unregisters, then register it again and so on.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Jayamal

Hi Catalin,
Thank you so much for helping me to clarify my doubt.

Best wishes,
Jayamal
Catalin

You're always welcome, Jayamal!

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”