masfer

25 Applications with 1 installer

Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:39 pm

Hi,

On daily basis we have to prepare field-service laptops with 20-30 custom software. This takes a lot of time and in search of a solution I stumbled upon advanced installer.

The software we use, some are really old, some need human input and some have seperate drivers. Almost all of them are seperate install.exe's.
Does anyone have a good starting point for me to start my research on how to achieve this ?

Thanks a lot

Catalin

Re: 25 Applications with 1 installer

Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:02 pm

Hello,

If you'd like to create a "suite installation" (e.g. a "master" installer that installs all of the subsequent installers), please have a look here:

Creating Suite Installations

If this does not help, then please give me some more details about what exactly you are trying to achieve using Advanced Installer and I will do my best to assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

masfer

Fri Jan 27, 2023 10:44 am

Thanks Catalin,

That is a good starting point. I've tried it out yesterday and I think I can work with this.

Most of my software ask for things like installation path and agreeing on terms, is there a way to skip these and press next automatically ?

Catalin

Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:28 am

Hello,

You are always welcome!

I'm afraid it is not possible to press the "Next" button automatically, but what we can do here is silently install the setups.

For instance, if the setups are MSI based, we can pass the "/qn" parameter for them and they will install without UI (in the background, automatically).

You can pass such parameters in the "Install command line" fields from the "Prerequisites" page --> your prerequisite --> "Setup Files" tab.
Screenshot_58.png
Screenshot_58.png (76.63KiB)Viewed 9588 times

If the setup is not MSI based (it's EXE instead), we need to find out if it's possible to install it silently (most likely, it is) and if so, we need to figure what's the silent installation switch for it (this can be done on the vendor website).

Hope it helps!

Best regards,
Catalin

Catalin

Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:38 pm

Hello,

Following up to see if you have managed to get this working.

Please let me know if you require any further assistance and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin

masfer

Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:08 am

Hi Catalin,

I've got the installation part covered, I do however have another problem. I need shortcuts in a folder on my desktop to the 20 apps that I install. The problem is however that my files are setup files, I cant point the shortcut to a certain file. That file is created by the setup.exe.

Is there a way to create shortcuts to files that are being installed ?

I have actually figured out how to fix this 'issue' by importing the shortcuts.
For now everything looks good, I will keep you updated.

Catalin

Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:17 pm

Hello,

Thank you for your followup on this!

Glad you managed to find a solution to this. :)

Best regards,
Catalin

Return to “Building Installers”