gulliwahn

Multiple instances with same and/or different versions

Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Hello

I'm absolutely stuck here creating a functional setup. Our needs are, I think, a little bit special.

I need an installer that can install multiple versions of our software side by side on one client.
But also we need the ability to install multiple instances of the same version on the same client.
Therefor it's possible that there are for example two installations of version 15.0.0, one installation of version 15.1.0 and two installations of version 16.0.0 on the same machine.

So I set the option "Allow side by side installs of different product versions".
Also I set the option "Generate instances at installation time".

During our tests of the setup I found the following behaviors (I hope my explanations are understandable):
1.) If I run the same exact setup multiple times, I can successfully install multiple instances.

2.) Now I compile the setup again without any version changes (I changed only the background image for the setup dialogs).
In this case the setup seems to be working, the dialog where I can choose to install a new instance pops up and the setup also takes the desired instance name. But as soon as I click on "Install" on the dialog "VerifyReadyDlg" the "ProgressDlg" dialog is shown and a message pops up saying "An other version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."
If I confirm this message the setup hangs and has to be killed using task manager.

3.) Now I compile the setup again and change the third diggit of the version (e.g. from 15.0.0 to 15.0.1) and choose "Patch".
The behavior in this case is exactly the same as in section 2. The same message pops up as soon as the installation begins.

4.) Finally I compile the setup again after I changed the version again (from 15.0.1 to 15.0.2) and choose "Major Upgrade".
Now the dialog for choosing to install a new instance pops up but the setup ignores the choosen instance name and installs the software as if it were the first installation.
I can change the installation folder but the entry in Add/Remove programs shows the default product name. Also my shortcuts are created in the default instance folder and overwrite the already existing ones.

How can I achieve my goal? I think I'm doing something wrong here but I can't figure out what.
Do I have to change the version of the setup differently?
I hope you can help me!

Best regards
Stefan

Dan

Re: Multiple instances with same and/or different versions

Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Hi Stefan,
1.) If I run the same exact setup multiple times, I can successfully install multiple instances.

2.) Now I compile the setup again without any version changes (I changed only the background image for the setup dialogs).
In this case the setup seems to be working, the dialog where I can choose to install a new instance pops up and the setup also takes the desired instance name. But as soon as I click on "Install" on the dialog "VerifyReadyDlg" the "ProgressDlg" dialog is shown and a message pops up saying "An other version of this product is already installed. Installation of this version cannot continue. To configure or remove the existing version of this product, use Add/Remove Programs on the Control Panel."
If I confirm this message the setup hangs and has to be killed using task manager.
I've tested your scenario but I cannot replicate the described behavior. After I've changed the dialogBitmap I rebuilt the project. After choosing a custom name for the new instance, I've successfully installed without any error.
Can you please try to see if the behavior can be replicated? If Yes, please attach the sample project or give us a detailed test case scenario so we can investigate this.
3.) Now I compile the setup again and change the third diggit of the version (e.g. from 15.0.0 to 15.0.1) and choose "Patch".
The behavior in this case is exactly the same as in section 2. The same message pops up as soon as the installation begins.
I could not replicate the described behavior. After choosing a custom name for the new instance, I've successfully installed without any error.
4.) Finally I compile the setup again after I changed the version again (from 15.0.1 to 15.0.2) and choose "Major Upgrade".
Now the dialog for choosing to install a new instance pops up but the setup ignores the choosen instance name and installs the software as if it were the first installation.
I can change the installation folder but the entry in Add/Remove programs shows the default product name. Also my shortcuts are created in the default instance folder and overwrite the already existing ones.
I'm afraid you cannot install a new instance after you selected the Major Upgrade option when the prompt appeared after the Product Version has been changed.

After you selected the Major Upgrade option, a new product code has been generated. Currently, when you run the new installation package you should only be able to upgrade an existing instance and the Install new instance option should be disabled.
This is happening because the side by side upgrade option is incompatible with the Generate instances at install time option.

Also, please note that it is not recommended to enable the side by side installation option when the generate dynamic instances are used in your installation package.
Therefor it's possible that there are for example two installations of version 15.0.0, one installation of version 15.1.0 and two installations of version 16.0.0 on the same machine.
I'm afraid this scenario is not currently supported. The side by side installation option and the Generate instances at install time option are incompatible.

Best regards,
Dan
Dan Ghiorghita - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

gulliwahn

Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:35 pm

Hello Dan

Thank you for the reply. Well, that's relatively bad news for us... But anyway.

My first problem, that I couldn't install a second instance after rebuilding the project, was (presumably) caused by the two options "side by side installation" and "Generate instances at install time".
I built a new setup with option "Generate instances at install time" and "Automatically upgrade older product versions".
This works so far if I choose "Major upgrade" after changing the product version.
But unfortunately the setup doesn't force the user to upgrade the existing instances first before he can install a new instance.
I have to manually upgrade all instances first, starting the setup over and over again. Only if all instances are updated I can install a new instance.
The option to install a new instance is enabled whether or not all instances are updated.
But that we can handle this with a proper install manual. Or is there another way?

Another question:
Is the fact, that the options "side by side installation" and "Generate instances at install time" are incompatible a missing feature of Advanced Installer or of Windows Installer it self?
If the former is true, will this feature be added to Advanced Installer in a future version?

Thanky again for your assistance.
Best regards
Stefan

gulliwahn

Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:59 pm

Hello again

Well the problems don't stopp... I have to ask another question.

I have the following scenario:
1.) Install our software on a clean machine
2.) Install a second instance on the same machine
3.) Create new setup with new version choosing "Major Upgrade"
4.) Upgrade the first instance on this machine
5.) Upgrade the second instance

On Windows 8.1 everything works fine, I can upgrade both instances. No problem at all.
On Windows 7 (x64) I only can upgrade the second instance. If I want to upgrade the first one the setup stopps after the CostFinalize.

In the log file I can see this:
Aktion beendet um 14:21:00: CostFinalize. Rückgabewert 1.
MSI (s) (28:44) [14:21:00:378]: Doing action: AI_PREVENT_INSTREMOVE
Aktion 14:21:00: AI_PREVENT_INSTREMOVE.
Aktion gestartet um 14:21:00: AI_PREVENT_INSTREMOVE.
MSI (s) (28:34) [14:21:00:378]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSI8E79.tmp, Entrypoint: PreventInstancesUpgrade
CustomAction AI_PREVENT_INSTREMOVE returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Aktion beendet um 14:21:00: AI_PREVENT_INSTREMOVE. Rückgabewert 3.
Aktion beendet um 14:21:00: INSTALL. Rückgabewert 3.

On the Windows 8.1 platform the log looks like this:
Aktion beendet um 09:06:13: CostFinalize. Rückgabewert 1.
MSI (c) (7C:44) [09:06:13:819]: Doing action: MigrateFeatureStates
Aktion 09:06:13: MigrateFeatureStates. Funktionszustände verwandter Anwendungen werden migriert
Aktion gestartet um 09:06:13: MigrateFeatureStates.
Aktion beendet um 09:06:13: MigrateFeatureStates. Rückgabewert 0.
MSI (c) (7C:44) [09:06:13:819]: Doing action: InstallValidate
Aktion 09:06:13: InstallValidate. Die Installation wird überprüft
Aktion gestartet um 09:06:13: InstallValidate.

I don't know whats happening here. Why can I not upgrade this instance on Windows 7? The setup runs as an administrator.
The system account, administrator account as well as the logged on user have full control permissions on the installation folder.

Do you have any idea whats wrong here?
Attached you will find our setup project. I hope the .aip file alone can help. If you need any more info and/or files, please let me know.

Thank you for any hint and your assistance.

Best regards
Stefan
Attachments
OfficePartner.aip
Our setup project
(115.66KiB)Downloaded 555 times

Dan

Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Stefan,

I'm afraid I cannot open the attached .AIP because some if its repository dependencies are missing (e.g. C:\ProgramData\Caphyon\Advanced Installer\Repository\Dialogs\OPSysDialog\OPSysDialog.aip).

Can you please attach all the repository dependencies so we can further investigate this? f it contains confidential information you can send us an email to support at advancedinstaller dot com or a small test project which reproduce this behavior.

Best regards,
Dan

gulliwahn

Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:39 am

Hello Dan

I sent you an email with the whole "Repository" folder. I hope this helps.

Kind regards
Stefan

Dan

Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:58 pm

Hi Stefan,
Is the fact, that the options "side by side installation" and "Generate instances at install time" are incompatible a missing feature of Advanced Installer or of Windows Installer it self?
If the former is true, will this feature be added to Advanced Installer in a future version?
I'm afraid this is a limitation of the Windows Installer. It does not support side by side installation and dynamic multiple instances.

I have added an improvement on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for your suggestion.

Best regards,
Dan

gulliwahn

Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:54 pm

Hello Dan

I think we are at the point that we can close this case(s).

1.)
I thought, that that's an Windows Installer limitation. I look forward to a new version of Advanced Installer and the improvements you will make.
At this point we changed our installation manual so our endusers are aware of this.

2.)
My problem upgrading multiple instances seems to be an issue on one machine so far. I've tested this on two additional windows 7 machines (32bit and 64bit) and everything works as expected. I don't know what's different on this one machine (maybe some Microsoft Voodoo ;-)).

Next week our software will be released with the new setup. I'm curious to see how it goes.

Thank you very much for your help.
Kind regards
Stefan

Dan

Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:50 am

You're welcome Stefan,
I thought, that that's an Windows Installer limitation. I look forward to a new version of Advanced Installer and the improvements you will make.
I'll reply to this thread when the feature will be available.
Next week our software will be released with the new setup. I'm curious to see how it goes.
Finger crossed.
If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.

Best regards,
Dan

ramesh513

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi Everybody ,

In my control Panel , my older versions are not uninstalled before installing new versions. I was seeing multiple instances with different versions , i would like to prevent it , even i select Automatically upgrade Older versions. Could anyone help us , I need this features so badly .. Please help us your help will appreciate .

Dan

Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:41 pm

Hello Ramesh,

You can see my answer on the Upgrade Version In Control panel forum thread. Let's continue the debate over there.

Best regards,
Dan

Aakash

Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:16 am

Hi Dan,

Do we have any updates for allowing multiple installations of same version ?

Catalin

Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:03 pm

Hello Aakash and welcome to our forums,

If possible, could you please give me some more details about what exactly are you trying to achieve (if possible, exemplify), so I can further assist you here?

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Aakash

Mon Feb 06, 2023 6:55 am

Hi Catalin,

We have an installer with a specific product version and build number. Currently we can install the software only one time on a Virtual machine. So if I want to have another instance of the software I have to spin up another VM and then install the software on it. But instead, I can create a large VM and install multiple instances of the software regardless of whether it was installed or not. So in short, we need the ability to install multiple instances of the same version on the same machine.

I tired a sample app, with multiple instances feature, but that is allowing me to install only two instances of the software on the same machine. Also, the software is multi lingual, so I can't really use the Multiple Instances option in Advance installer due to the limitation attached.

Can you please suggest a way?
Attachments
multiple insance error.png
multiple insance error.png (41.2KiB)Viewed 10085 times

Catalin

Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:33 pm

Hello Akash,

Thank you for your followup on this and for the explanation!

Unfortunately, the "Multiple Instances" support has some limitations, such as the ones you encountered. This being the case, I'm afraid nothing much can be done.

If there's anything else I could help you with, please let me know and I will gladly assist.

Best regards,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team

Return to “Building Installers”