robdob123

Detecting window patch Already Installed

Hi,

-1- How do I detect and install .NET 4.0.3 Update if it has not already been installed. There is np product code for it however it does show up wihtin Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs/Updates Installed.

-2- also is it possible to scan for the existence of a portion of a registry key i.e *.KB1234567 or do I need to create a custom executable for this?

-3- are you going to be building prepacaked prerequistes for SQL 2012 LocalDB, SMO, CLR, .Net Update 4.0.2 is is now a requirment in order to use SqlClient and LocalDB wihin your connection string..?

Thanks,
mihai.petcu

Re: Detecting window patch Already Installed

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,
How do I detect and install .NET 4.0.3 Update if it has not already been installed. There is np product code for it however it does show up wihtin Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs/Updates Installed.
You can add this update as prerequisite from the Prerequisites page, just be sure to provide the appropriate install conditions. Perhaps the Professional tutorial will also help.
also is it possible to scan for the existence of a portion of a registry key i.e *.KB1234567 or do I need to create a custom executable for this?
Yes it is. You can use the Search page predefined functionality.
are you going to be building prepacaked prerequistes for SQL 2012 LocalDB, SMO, CLR, .Net Update 4.0.2 is is now a requirment in order to use SqlClient and LocalDB wihin your connection string..?
Thank you for your suggestion, we'll consider adding your requirements to our predefined prerequisites list. Meanwhile, this shouldn't be a show stopper since you can manually add them from the Prerequisites page.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
robdob123

Wow,

you answered none of my questions did you read them?

my first qestion was how to find out if an update had been installed, in order to set the condition for a prerequisite,
my second question was how to use wildcards within a registry search, the page you sent me to was nothing about wildcards.
and my third question was answered yet based upon the assumption that you had answered question 1 and 2..

In anycase thats for the info...
mihai.petcu

Things were a bit hectic so I gave some generic answers indeed. I wasn't sure you were actually familiar with the whereabouts and basic functionality of Advanced Installer's related features. Sorry about that.
my first qestion was how to find out if an update had been installed, in order to set the condition for a prerequisite
Unfortunately I don't know the install condition for .NET 4.0.3 Update but here's what you can try:
- export the registry before and after it has been installed and diff the results
- search the Internet, maybe someone else had the same problem
my second question was how to use wildcards within a registry search, the page you sent me to was nothing about wildcards
I'm afraid that Windows Installer doesn't support multiple search locations of the same type for a search. You can try the custom action approach.
and my third question was answered yet based upon the assumption that you had answered question 1 and 2..
I don't understand what you mean by this. What part of the answer isn't clear? If I missed something please be more specific, underline your exact doubt and we'll get back to you soon.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”