Zirak

Building a 3GB Installer

Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi, I have a client which is 3GB which needs to be packed and made into an installer.

I've used several LZMA compression methods but they all seem to give me Out of Memory error (I've tried all options from Normal to Best compression).

I was wondering, is it possible to manually pack the client in 7zip as LZMA and embed it within the executable for the installer, and when the user runs it, it extracts that 7zip archive into the appropriate directory?

If not, is there any workaround for the error I get while building it normally?

I have 16GB DDR3 Ram and I have page filing enabled on a secondary drive with the recommended amount. (My primary drive is a SSD, and Page Filing wears down the performance of SSDs tremendously)

Thanks.

mihai.petcu

Re: Building a 3GB Installer

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:54 am

Hello and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Unfortunately you cannot create your own archive and there's no workaround. That size seems to be too much for the time being.
I discussed the issue with the development team and perhaps in the future we'll be able to make some improvements in this direction.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

cfi

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:13 am

I think the main problem here is, that AI runs as a 32bit application --> max. 2GB of RAM is usable for the process.
BUT why does it load the whole file in Memory? I don't know any compression software which does that...

mihai.petcu

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:29 am

Actually that's the improvement our dev team had in mind for a future version. Make Advanced Installer a 64-bit process.
The file is not loaded in the memory but the compression algorithm needs a lot of memory. This is out of our reach.

All the best,
Mihai

Zirak

Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:21 pm

I've also used LZMA compression and extraction libraries in my projects in the past and I've never had this problem. (Especially with huge files over 20GB).

So I'm not sure why your installer causes this problem...

mihai.petcu

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:58 am

Hello,

This depends on the application that uses LZMA. Ours needs a lot of memory.
You can try a lower compression level and if that doesn't work I'm afraid it's out of our reach. The improvement will come with 64-bit Advanced Installer.

All the best,
Mihai

Zirak

Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:20 pm

I've used the lowest setting and it was still unable to compress without getting that out of memory exception.

Looks like I'll have to wait for the 64bit one.

Return to “Building Installers”