thill

Basic build/install sequence question

Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:28 pm

For the various File Operations, TXT Update, etc. a question about the build and install sequence.

For a Synchronized folder :

1) Are the contents logically placed into the target directory at build time? Or,

2) are they gathered from their source directory into some kind of internal structure and placed into the target directory at install time?

I've been working as though it is #1, however the behavior seems to indicate it's #2 ... which would also explain some confusion (I've had) about how TXT Update, Copy, etc. work.

Bogdan

Re: Basic build/install sequence question

Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:56 am

Hi,

1) Yes, at build time the sources are included in the package.

The confusion you've encountered could appear if you had the files included in the package by the synchronization, which you make the installer to write them at install time in the original form, and after that the TXT update would try to recreate it and generate the backup.

As I explained in my last e-mails, for your scenario is recommended to import the file completely and use either the "Append\Create" support from the TXT update feature or, even better use the XML built-in editor, which is specially designed to handle import\edit\update for XML files.

Best regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”