anupmistry

Custom Location + Installation Folder 'Program Files'

Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:13 pm

My app is a 32-bit Office-Addin. By default the plugin got AppFolder set to >> [AppDataFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName].

Two part question:

#1 ... if we change it to Program Files. I see two Program Files Listed. In the Folder Property Selection Dialog. What is the difference between the two?
AI_FolderSelect.png
AI_FolderSelect.png (34.41KiB)Viewed 5590 times
Like .... if my app is installed on a 64-bit PC at runtime assuming the Program Files will become Program Files (x86) and Program Files 64 will stay as Program Files.

#2 .. Was able to edit the AppFolder to [WindowsVolume]\MyAppName\. So its almost like hardcoding to a custom path so I do not have to worry about 32 or 64 bit. Though the AI has the FolderDlg where user can change it. Question becomes how does one bypass that FolderDlg so that after the Accept Agreement it skips straight to the VerifyDialog or just starts the install process ?

Thanks

mihai.petcu

Re: Custom Location + Installation Folder 'Program Files'

Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:30 am

Hello,
if we change it to Program Files. I see two Program Files Listed. In the Folder Property Selection Dialog. What is the difference between the two?
Those folders are described in the "Paths of the folders in the "Files and Folders" Page" article.
You may also find the "How do I install files in a custom folder?" article helpful.
Was able to edit the AppFolder to [WindowsVolume]\MyAppName\. So its almost like hardcoding to a custom path so I do not have to worry about 32 or 64 bit.
You shouldn't worry about this if you use the folder paths described above. Those are resolved automatically depending on the target machine OS.
Question becomes how does one bypass that FolderDlg so that after the Accept Agreement it skips straight to the VerifyDialog or just starts the install process ?
To skip a dialog you can condition it using "Show only if" from its context menu (right click).
Maybe the How do I install resources based on the Operating System version? article can help with the conditions.

All the best,
Mihai
Mihai Petcu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

anupmistry

Re: Custom Location + Installation Folder 'Program Files'

Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:57 pm

Thanks. That helped!

Return to “Building Installers”