ahaornye

Independent installation of SQL Express 2008 R2

Hi,

I would like to create a separate installer for my application’s data base.
This installation includes no application files. The only file it contains is the SQL Server Express 2008 R2 (SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU).

My favorable scenario is: the installer assists me in checking a few perquisites such as: no sql is installed, .net is installed etc.
Later a quite installation is initiated using the SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU setup file. It is a quite installation done by calling the SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU with parameters.
After installation the SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU does not stay in the target machine.

My difficulty is with the fact that the Advanced Installer encourages me to use installation parameters and create an application folder on my target machine and later deploy the SQLEXPRWT_x86_ENU file to the server. In addition I couldn’t find a way to delete the file and/or folder from the target machine (as a work around).

Could you point me in the right direction of my favorable scenario?

Regards,
Arale
Daniel

Re: Independent installation of SQL Express 2008 R2

Hi and welcome to Advanced Installer forums,

Starting with Advanced Installer 9.0 version you can achieve this behavior using our "Prerequisites" feature. From "Prerequisites" page you can add the predefined "SQL Server 2008 Express R2" prerequisites as a feature-based prerequisite or post-install prerequisite, and you can configure it to run in silent mode by editing the command lines from "Setup Files" -> "Install Command Lines" group. Also, you can add others prerequisites that are nedeed by your package. In order to use our "Prerequisites" feature you must to have at least a "Professional" project type.

If you don't have an Advanced Installer license you can purchase it from our Purchase page.
If you have an older version of Advanced Installer you can use a "Free 30 days trial" version of Advanced Installer and then you can acquire a Maintenance Plan.

If you have any questions let me know.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ahaornye

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the quick response.

As you figured out I am a new comer :).
I found the option of silent installation in the perquisites option.
Installing the sql server will demand that the parameters I execute in the command line are
being input from a dialog meaning the command line string is dynamic and needs to be built
during the installation and executed in the end.

Will that be possible? To have a dynamically built string for the command line?

Thanks!
Arale
Daniel

Hi Arale,

In order to achieve your behavior you must add the predefined "SQL Server 2008 Express R2" prerequisites as a feature-based prerequisite. Then you should create a public property (i.e. MY_PROP) which will contain your desired command line string and which will be set from UI. Now you can use MY_PROP property in the command lines from "Install Command Lines" group to sillently run your prerequisite.

If you have any questions let me know.

Regards,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Building Installers”